Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

We have an OfficeJet 4620 in our house, and it has been a pretty solid printer for the most part over the last few years. The email address it has worked really well when we were remote, printing from a mobile device was easy to facilitate, and it worked from the handful of laptops we've had in the house.

About two weeks ago, I was having an issue with Plex, and someone who remoted in to help me with my router suggested I change our DNS from automatically find settings to the Google DNS settings. Plex and everything else in our house has worked fine since then. I should also note that we have the Optimum Online (Cablevision) provided router, a DIR-868L with proprietary firmware on it, but that has not impeded our use of the printer up until this point.

I needed to scan something for the first time in a little while within the last week, and I noticed that the printer was not being detected as online by my laptop (a Windows 7 64-bit Dell). I rebooted the printer and it worked, but then no more than five minutes later, it was undetected again. I rebooted it and it came back again for only a few minutes.

I used the Update Wireless IP Address tool on my laptop and couldn't get the utility to recognize or find it on our network at 192.168.1.4. Our router did see it there in its network tree map though, which was odd. So then I tried giving it a manual IP address, 192.168.1.20. The tool found the printer, but kicked off after a few minutes again.

I found this thread on the Google forums where someone also had an issue with Google DNS and their HP printer, but no one responded to them, and so far, no one has responded to me.

Last night I had more time to work on it. I had emailed the printer a PDF from work, but when I got home, it had not printed. The Wireless Settings page said it had an excellent wifi connection and listed the 192.168.1.20 IP address on our wireless network.

I tried to uninstall the printer from my laptop, but even after connecting it via USB, installing all of the drivers, and following through 99% of the setup steps, the last 1% where you get it on the wireless network wouldn't work. It would say that it's connected and then kick off a few minutes later.

I tried changing the printer's DNS to the Google 8.8.8.8 DNS server, but that didn't change the problem either. I ended up changing it back to 192.168.1.1 before I went to bed. I also removed the Google DNS server from my router, and that hasn't helped so far either.

Is there a firmware update or something that could explain this? I haven't updated it, but if those kinds of things are pushed, I would understand.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello@jeffreyabr

Welcome to the HP Forums.I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.As I understand you're Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection .I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I recommend you try the steps from the link below and check if that fixes the issue: http://hp.care/2iYChPi

Let me know if this troubleshooter identifies or resolves the issue, or if you've maybe already tried this.

Feel free to post again if there is anything else I can help you with.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello@jeffreyabr

Welcome to the HP Forums.I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.As I understand you're Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection .I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I recommend you try the steps from the link below and check if that fixes the issue: http://hp.care/2iYChPi

Let me know if this troubleshooter identifies or resolves the issue, or if you've maybe already tried this.

Feel free to post again if there is anything else I can help you with.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor program right after I made my post, and that fixed it for me. I did have some issue with the pritner side of things that seems to have fixed the printer and scanner connectivity.

I have gone back to the Google DNS on my router, but I haven't been home that much since I made the post (and possibly fixed the issue) to notice if it has resolved everything 100%. I will respond if I am in further need of assistance. 

HP Recommended

Hi @jeffreyabr,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.