Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Used this printer with Vista.  Support is ending, so switching to Linux.

When I went to HP's support site for this printer & selected Linux, it gave a msg ~"if you need printer software / drivers for Linux, we suggest you get it at another site.  Click here to learn more."

It just took me back to same screen to enter product name / model, where I started.

Never says what the site is.

It also said, "Chances are, your Linux computer already has the software it needs, as all major Linux distributions regularly integrate HP Linux Imaging and Printing (HPLIP) into their software releases."

I find that hard to believe.  At times, It was hard enough getting HP printer software for Windows.  Do the major Linux distros actually have the same software available for Windows (like scanning, wireless network setup wizard) & printer drivers for most HP's?

Even latest Windows would only have basic HP drivers, if that - not scanning / OCR / photo printing software, etc.

Are most major distros about equal for supporting HP printers or providing software?

Course, I only need Linux software & drivers for the model above.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi lostsowl,

1. Open the HP Linux download page >> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html

2.  Click the button

<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hplip/hplip-3.16.11.run>

3. This will open the installer and follow the instructions. 

Click on KUDOS star to say thanks  :smileywink:     

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards,

ferRX.

dodecaedro.gif

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.
HP Recommended

Thanks very much ferRx,

Couple of follow up questions - for anyone that's recently installed HP's Linux drivers & software. I apologize, but HP's (Linux) info on supported features is confusing. The package you linked was what I found (thanks.).

The "chart" at hplipopensource dot kom/hplip-web/models/officejet/officejet_pro_8600.html - Summary of Available Features listing my printer's features that may not work with the Linux drivers (on hplipopensource dot kom ) for package hplip-3.16.11.run - is a bit confusing.

Upshot: Will the Linux driver / software for this printer provide similar PC software for Linux that performs the same software based functions that were available via Windows software? The chart below seems to say "No," but possibly "yes."

** Will scanning / printing / Printer Setup, etc., still be available via software under Linux (Mint / Ubuntu)?
(some in a Linux forum said many printer software based features may NOT be available using HP's driver)

The chart shows "Full Support" level , but several features are shown NOT supported. Can someone clarify?

The Linux Driver Support Info chart for HP Officejet Pro 8600 E-aio n911a:

Support Information:

Item Description
Minimum HPLIP version 3.11.10
Support level *Full* (See note11.)
Recommended? Yes (See note15.)

Summary of Available Features (See note10.):
Feature -- Support10 -- Notes

Automatic installer - Depends on distro See table below for distro specific support.
USB I/O - Yes
Network I/O - Yes See note1.
Parallel I/O - No
Scan to PC - Yes See note3.
Photo card access -  *No* If equiped, use USB mass storage for access. See note4.
PC fax send - Yes See note5.
PC initiated copy - *No* See note6.
Services and status - Yes See note7. 7 "Services and status" means that ink/toner levels, error reporting, and services such as alignment, and color calibration are available (** via the HP Device Manager aka TOOLBOX**).

Graphical user interfaces - Depends on distro See table below for distro specific support.
Print head alignment - *No*
Color calibration - *No*
Print head cleaning - Yes
Linefeed calibration - *No*
Print quality diagnostics *No*

Not sure by what method they mean the features are NOT supported. Do they mean "not at all," or "only using the printer's own control panel" or...??

The "Services & Status" entry shows most of those features ARE supported - via the software Toolbox - same as Windows.
But farther down the chart, they show the same features as Unsupported. Contradiction?

** What about **software based** printing, scanning, faxing, wireless printer settings - features in Linux?
Assume it's similar to the "HP Printer Assistant" software in Windows?

If "No" on most the chart's unsupported features (*Except* "Services & Status" ), means the *command line* utilities don't work for this printer (at hplipopensource dot kom/hplip-web/tech_docs/man_pages/index.html, ...but ARE supported in the Linux software (similar to HP Windows software), that's confusing as heck.

The article may need editing / clarification?

Thanks a million!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.