Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
PHOTOSMART C4700
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I AM TRYING TO PRINT DOCUMENTS ON A NEW COMPUTER. MY OLD PRINTER DOESE NOT SHOW IN THE OPTIONS. 

I HAVE DOWNLOADED INFORMATION AND DRIVER FROM HP WEBSITE BUT WHEN ACTIVATING  IT DOES NOT DETECT THE PRINTER WHEN PROMPTED TO PLUG IN THE USB TO THE COMPUTER.

I AM AT A LOSS HOW TO PRINT FROM THIS PRINTER ON THIS NEW COMPUTER IF I CANNOT FIND IT 

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @SHEZA50,

Welcome to HP support forums. I would like to help you.

Since the USB connection is not detected, I would suggest you to try with 1 more USB cable if possible.

Alternatively, you can try to install the printer using Windows built-in drivers. follow the steps from below.

• Go to Control Panel.
  • Select All Control Panel Items.
  • Open Devices and Printers.
  • At the top of the window, select Add a Printer.
  • Select Add a Local Printer.
  • In Choose a Printer Port, select Use an existing port.
  • In the drop-down menu, select the USB001(Virtual Printer Port for USB).
  • Select the Next Button.
  • In the Manufacturers section, select HP.
  • In the Printers section, look for your printer model and select it.

Note: The search may take some time, be patient.

When the search is complete, go back to the HP section and your printer should now appear there. Select it and click the Next Button.

Your printer will appear in the printer name box, click Next again and the printer will be installed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******

ProfDumbledore
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey @SHEZA50,

Welcome to HP support forums. I would like to help you.

Since the USB connection is not detected, I would suggest you to try with 1 more USB cable if possible.

Alternatively, you can try to install the printer using Windows built-in drivers. follow the steps from below.

• Go to Control Panel.
  • Select All Control Panel Items.
  • Open Devices and Printers.
  • At the top of the window, select Add a Printer.
  • Select Add a Local Printer.
  • In Choose a Printer Port, select Use an existing port.
  • In the drop-down menu, select the USB001(Virtual Printer Port for USB).
  • Select the Next Button.
  • In the Manufacturers section, select HP.
  • In the Printers section, look for your printer model and select it.

Note: The search may take some time, be patient.

When the search is complete, go back to the HP section and your printer should now appear there. Select it and click the Next Button.

Your printer will appear in the printer name box, click Next again and the printer will be installed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******

ProfDumbledore
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello Sanal,

Thank you for your solution.

It was very helpful, i do indead need a new USB connetion i have a  USB 1 and need a USB 2 whatever that means. I will try your instructions and buy a USB 2. 

i am confident i can get it up and running again, with your instructions 

all the best

Sheza50

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.