Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LASERJET PRO M12W

PRO M11-M13 USB EWS DEVICE DRIVER IS FAILED TO INSTALL. 

TRIED HP PRINT AND SCAN DOCTOR, UNAVAILABLE TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey there! @LING88, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting you are getting USB EWS DEVICE DRIVER IS FAILED TO INSTALL error from your printer.

Don't worry I would like to help you out.

Did you make any changes on your printer?

Have you tried checking with a different USB cable?

Please try the steps recommended below to perform a hard reset on your printer.

Resetting the printer resets any USB connections between the printer and computer.
Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
   NOTE:
HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
If the installation automatically continues and completes successfully, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
If the installation does not automatically continue, restart the installation process.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot Device Setup Failed error messages.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. I tried your solution but still not working. I already change the usb cable, but the printer still have an yellow icon in Device And Printers window.

I have Windows 7 Professional x64 and I tested the printer en 4 pc's with the exact same result.

HP Recommended

@fervillasenor92, It's been great to hear from you again. I was much awaiting for your response.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

1. Go to Device Manager.
 2. Find the device from the device list and right-click on it. Select Update Driver Software…
Since the device driver is not installed successfully, you should see a yellow exclamation mark next to the device.

3. Click Browse my computer for driver software.

4. Click Browse… button and select the folder where you saved the downloaded driver or extracted the driver earlier.

Then follow the rest on-screen instructions to install the driver.

If the above recommended steps do not work, try the steps recommended below.

–        Open a command prompt with administrator rights.
–        Type: msiexec /unregister and press Enter.
–        After the command completes type: msiexec /register and press Enter again.

After completing the steps try reinstalling the HP printer software.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a wonderful weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried with all the steps from above.

But this yellow icon in the EWS Device Printer Driver is still there...

When I tried to update the driver, Windows detected the driver as updated.

I need to say that I already installed this printer with the same result in 4 computers and with 3 USB cables.

Driver HP.png

HP Recommended

@fervillasenor92, Thanks for your response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned even after trying out the steps the issue still persists.

Please uninstall the printer software from your PC and install windows built in drivers and check if it helps.

Open the Windows Device Installation Settings and confirm that your computer is set to automatically download driver software.
Search Windows for change device installation, and then click the Change device installation settings Control Panel setting in the list of results.
Device Installation Settings window displays.
Select the Yes option, and then click Save Changes.

Refer this article to know more information about installing the built-in drivers.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Where can I find that built in drivers that I need to install once I unnistall the printer software?

HP Recommended

Hi! @fervillasenor92, It's great to hear from you again.

As you needed to know how to install the built-in drivers.

Please find the steps mentioned in the screenshot below and let me know if it helps.

If you are unable to understand the steps mentioned above, Please refer the video link it should give you more clearer picture on how to install the built-in drivers.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello.

I have no problem with the installation. In fact, the printer completes the installation. The problem is when I try to print, it changes the status from Ready to Error.

The question is: Which driver do I need to install? The CD driver doesn't work, as the downloaded from the HP portal doesn't work too... And as I can see from this post, I'm not the only one with the exact same problem with the exact same model... Which driver do I need to install?

M12 ERROR.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi @fervillasenor92, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, please try this Microsoft fix it tool to uninstall the printer from your computer. 

Once the printer is uninstalled using the tool. 

Press Win + R to bring up the Run dialog box. 

Type %temp% in the box and hit enter. 

This would bring up the temporary folder. 

Delete all the files, listed there. You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore the ones that cannot be deleted. 

Restart the computer. 

Then try to install the printer on your computer. Connect the printer only when prompted by the setup wizard. 

If the issue persists, please create a new user account on your computer with administrative privileges. Log in to the new account and try to install the printer. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.