Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C410a
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

In the last 3-4 months my print preview pane has been blank and it will print a blank pages as well. I have spent hours online with Apple and they think it is a HP issue.  I am able to print fine as a different user.  I can also print from the rest of my computers but they are all PCs. 

All drivers and software are up to date and I have removed and reinstalled the software numerous times with no luck. 

Anyone else have this problem? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @CrazyTrain13, and welcome to the HP Forums! 

I understand that your print preview pane is blank and your printer is producing blank pages. Since you can print from a different user account, I suspect the issue has to do with the profile you are trying to print from. 

Let's reset the printing system, repair disk permissions, and re-add the printer:  

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions

1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X.

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using the HP driver. 

If this resolves the issue please click the Accept as Solution button below to flag your post as solved. If the issue persists however, let me know and I will see what else there is for us to try. 

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                       
  2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info! 

I did try this twice and still no luck.  When i went through Apple support I was able to print when i was using the "preview" function on a pdf. 

Let me know if you have any other tricks up your sleeve. 

Thank you! 

HP Recommended

Hi CrazyTrain13, good morning! 

Let's go ahead a try another approach. Please complete the steps below in the order presented. Although you have done some of these things already, the combination of these steps could do the trick:

Scrub/ Uninstall

• Open the Applications folder > HP or Hewlett Packard folder > HP Uninstaller
  • Click continue, click on one of the printers in the list.
  • * Only do this step if you do not have any other HP Printers.  Hold down Control, Option and Command, While holding the three buttons down,
  • Click uninstall.

Manually uninstall potentially remaining files - I apologize in advanced this is not a fun task! I will try to make it easy to follow. Some of the files described in the following steps may not be found, if you can't find one of the files or folders on your computer, don't be alarmed, just skip it and move to the next: 

Move the files and/or folders to the trash, drag and drop

• Macintosh HD/Applications//Hewlett-Packard folder
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/ - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard
  • In Macintosh HD/Library/Caches - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Help/ - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks/HPServicesInterface.framework
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks/HPSmartX.framework
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/HP Scan Pro
  • In Macintosh HD/Library/Image Capture/Scripts - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard
  • In Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences - delete all files and folders regarding HP/Hewlett Packard

Move Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist to the desktop. NOTE: Not removing the file loginwindow.plist during the manual uninstall could cause the uninstall to be unsuccessful.

• In Macintosh HD/Library/Printer/hp - delete folder
  • In Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems, drag the following folders to the trash, HP IO and HP Trap Monitor
  • In Macintosh HD/Users/USERNAME (this should have a symbol of a house next to it)/Library/Preferences, drag the following folders to the trash: *Any files beginning with com.apple.print, *Any files beginning with com.hp, *Any files beginning with Hewlett-Packard, *Any files beginning with HP or hp
  • In MacintoshHD/Users/USERNAME/Library/Printers, drag any All-in-One printers listed here into the trash.
  • Drag the HP icons from the Dock and drop it on an empty space on the desktop. The icon will disappear.

Close all open windows.
Restart.
Empty the Trash.

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Remove the print driver - If you cannot complete a step because the file or folder is missing, do not be alarmed just skip to  the next step.

1. From the computer desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD  icon.
  2. Double-click the Library folder.
  3. Double-click the Printers folder.
  4. Right-click the HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.
  5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.
  6. Double-click the PPDs  folder.
  7. Double-click the Contents  folder.
  8. Double-click the Resources  folder.
  9. Locate your printer in the printer list, and then right-click on your printer and select Move to Trash.
  10. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.
  11. Click the Trash icon on the taskbar, click the Empty  button, and then click OK to empty the trash.

NOTE By clicking OK, all items in your trash will be permanently deleted from your computer. To delete one item in the trash, click that item to highlight it, and then click OK.

1. On the upper-left corner of the computer desktop, click the Apple menu icon, and then click System Preferences on the drop-down menu.
  2. Double-click Print & Scan.
  3. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.
  4. Restart the computer

Repair Disk Permissions

1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Once the repair is complete, restart the computer.

Restart the printer.

Download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X.

When you add the printer, like before, please ensure you are using the HP driver.

Let me know how this works out and I will get back to you again. Thanks. 

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                   
  2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select  the printer driver 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello again! 

Thank you for all of the helpful info.  I am fairly new to Apple Operating Ssytems so bare with me but I do not have a folder in Applications called "HP" or "Hewlett Packard". 

Frankly i dont see these files anyplace on m y computer. 

Thank you! 

HP Recommended

That's not surprising. There is no full feature software and driver available for the C410 for 10.9, I wanted to check in case you had something installed and then upgraded to 10.9. What we know for sure now is that there is no HP software on the computer, thus the issue couldn't be related to HP software. Despite what you have been told, the root cause of the issue must have something to do with the user profile, or the Printing System. I'd suggest reaching out to Apple again and letting them know what we have discovered. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same problem with my J4680.  I use this printer with an iMac, a Macbook Air, and two MacBook pros--all running Sierra--and the preview screen shows blank and prints blank across all machines and all user accounts.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.