Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HPDeskjet 932C
Other

I have a computerized embroidery business operating on Windows 98 and cannot upgrade operating systems with my embroidery program, unless I start my entire business over again; not willing to invest the time and money to do so; love it the way that it is, but my printer has issues.  I get an error message that says "The print cartridge cradle cannot move."  I cannot see anything that would obstruct the movement.   If I fool with it long enough, I can get it to print one page and then the same message appears.  Suggestions or ideas for what I can do?    If the problem cannot be rectified, is there a printer that I can get that will work with the Windows 98 system I have?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey @EISUE,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are getting the message 'print cartridge cradle cannot move' when printing from your Windows 98 computer to your HP Deskjet 932c Printer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. Now I see that you have already checked inside the printer for any obstructions that could be causing this error, to no avail. At this point I am going to run you through some additional carriage troubleshooting steps.

To start, can I please have you click here. Once the website opens, please follow Solution two, Solution three, Solution four, Solution five, and Solution six. This includes any sub-steps under the listed Solutions.

The error that you're encountering is a hardware issue. It is not related to your Windows 98 Operating System. Therefore, the troubleshooting steps that I am having you complete are all hardware based.

Because Windows 98 is an obsolete Operating System, should this Deskjet be defective there are no printers that are supported on Windows 98. The earliest Operating System that currently has print drivers is Windows XP.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. Good luck! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Download HPSPM98.EXE from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/hpspm98.exe

This will allow you to create TCPIP ports for printers

You can then buy a modern office jet all-in-one.

Find out the IP address of the printer.

Print to IPadress using say deskjet 1600C driver inherent within win98.

Alternatively you can email the print to the printer using HP eprint system.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.