Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a wired network printer, HP8620.  In the last few days whenever I switch on my laptop (HP Spectre), also connected by wire to the network the printer comes up offline - it won't print.

The HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility reports that the printer is online, but Microsoft Word and other apps don't print, telling me the printer is offline. I can fix the problem by turning the printer off and on again.

I have seen suggestions that this is a SNMP status problem, but when I go to Printer Properties, Ports, and select "Configure Port" I get an error message "an error occurred during port configuration", "This operation is not supported", so I can not untick the SNMP box, as suggested elsewhere.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Philip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Philip4,

Welcome back to the HP Community.

I read your post about your HP Officejet Pro 8620 having connection issues, and I would like to help you out.

Try the link below, it has several potential solutions to your issue. Try out all of the steps, in order, and let me know the results as well as any problems or error codes you experience.

HP Printers - 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)

I hope this helps.

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the thumbs up below

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Philip4,

Welcome back to the HP Community.

I read your post about your HP Officejet Pro 8620 having connection issues, and I would like to help you out.

Try the link below, it has several potential solutions to your issue. Try out all of the steps, in order, and let me know the results as well as any problems or error codes you experience.

HP Printers - 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)

I hope this helps.

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the thumbs up below

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

HP Recommended

Marcus

Thank you.  The HP Print and Scan Doctor utility found some new software, installed it, and all is now well. 

Which is strange, because I had tried the Print and Scan Doctor before posting to the forum, and it didn't solve the problem. ...

Regards

Philip

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue, but the link you provide is not working....error 404 or something.

HP Recommended

Me too.

HP Recommended

Hi noscando and Scrapper63,

Please try this link instead: HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows)

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,

meg-riley

Although I am a HP employee, I'm speaking for myself and not on behalf of HP.
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I have the same problem, also  suggest an error occured during port configuration. Tried reistalling direct via the printer, and always says OK remove lead. but still the printer show as offline. Any help would be useful. Thanks in advance, Joe90

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.