Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 6954
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have tried 12-14 times now over the last two days to install the softeare for my new OfficeJet 6954 (Product # P4C81A, Serial # THJ6991101Z) to no avail. I have tried multiple times with it connected via USSB and multiple times with it connected to my home network. Every time the install fails. I downloaded and used the latest version of the software from the HP site.

Every time it fails,  I get an error msg - Driver install reeturned error 1627 for Package C;ProgramFiles\HP\OfficeJet 6950\DriverStore\Yeti\hpygid.inf.

I have used both the regular troubleshootiing app that is part of the install and the HP Print and Scan Doctor app and nothing worked or was able to resilve the issues.

The printer is visible on my local broadband network and has updated itself over that network. The printer can be seen when using Windoes Install new device,but the install that way fails, too.

I am using Windows 7, Version 6.1 Buld 7601:Service Pack 1

I am running Webroot and Malwarebytes. I have tried doing the install with both turned off and it still fails. 

What else can I do. I will retunr the product to Staples if I cannot install the softeware.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try this Uninstaller from Microsoft and then reinstall the FULL feature software again?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...

Let us know if that works!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

NO that did not work. I used the Micro=soft tol to uninstalland reinstallthe HP Installer software, which was the best guess that I could make. the Printer software itrself has never completed an install. I have been looking at a message that says the install failed for two days and 15 attempts now. 

The error message is DriverInstall returned error 1627 for package C:ProgramFiles\HP\Officejet6950\Driversstore\Yeti\hpygid20.inf

This is all very frustrating.

HP Recommended

So far all I'm accomplising here is earning a bunch of badges for posting my frustration at being unable to install the software  for my new OfficeJet 6954 on my Windows 7 system.  I did install it on my wife's Windows 10 machine and it appears to work fine. 

I have tried all of the suggestions that I have received (althought some were to obscure to figure out properly) but nothing has been able to get me passed the first of there 6 installs, wich is the basic printer driver install.  

The printer is on my wifi network and my system can see it, but trying to add it as a device fails the same way. It's all very frustrating. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Norm3659,

Something in the Win 7 PC must be blocking the install.

The fact that install was successful on the WIn 10 PC indicates this.  Does the Win 10 PC have the same antivirus software as the Win 7 PC? 

Could you check if there are any WIndows OS updates to the Win 7 PC?

The Microsoft Uninstaller is one of the software that "cleans" the system to allow the Printer software to install (from scratch)

Can you delete the HP folders before attempting the installation.

C:\ProgramFiles\HP\Officejet6950\Driversstore\Yeti\hpygid20.inf    (delete the HP folder NOT the Programfiles folder!

Not sure what else to try if this still doesn't work.

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks. I trtied to delete the HP folder, but it won't let me. The reply is that it is open in another application. IS there a specific subfolder that may be the culprit?

HP Recommended

Thanks all. I give up. My OfficeJet 6954 will become just another HP doorstop. I found that I bought tyhis primarily for the sanning, but can't get that to install either,. I fouond software that works with my old Epson NX100 scanner, so I'll go back to that. Let's see if I can get my money back from Staples.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.