Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro 400 color M451dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I've tried to install the driver s/w on my colleague's dell computer running Windows 7 Pro, using either the disk that came with the printer or downloading it from HP. I get to about 98% complete then bombs out and starts that an error has occurred. That I should restart my computer and retry. (I done that 6 times) if that fails I should go to my product's website !!! I'm a Mac guy and know little about windows. The s/w installs without any trouble on my Imac. Help please !!!!
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi LEMDallas,

Have you tried installing the software from https://123.hp.com/us/en/devices/laserjet? I'm not sure why the software is causing issues for you. Please go to the above link, and then click Download. The HP installer will open. Following the on-screen instructions to setup your printer.

Please let me know if this works for you. If doesn't, tell me where exactly the download is failing and we'll work from there. If you are able to take screenshots, please share them. 

Thanks!

Jesyka 🙂

I work on behalf of HP. #HPExpertsDay

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

Hi LEMDallas,

I have seen issues like this if the HP Universal Printer Driver is installed on the computer. Try removing the UPD driver and drver package from the Print Server Properties. Once you have the UPD driver and driver package removed then you should try the install again.

Open the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the UPD driver if it is present and remove it. To get to the Print Server Properties select any icon in Devices and Printers and you should see Server Properties at the top of the window. Select Server Properties. Inside the Sever Properties click the Driver tab find and select the UPD driver and choose Remove. Make sure you remove the driver and driver package when prompted. If Windows won't remove the UPD reboot Windows and try again.

Once the UPD driver is removed you should be able to install the software for the M451. If you need the UPD driver you should be  able to reinstall it after you have installed the M451 software.

I am an HP employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.