Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro 252dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP LaserJet Pro 252dw which I have connected wirelessly to my LAN. Wifi Direct is off.

When installing drivers in my computer the installationallmost completes but interrupts and gives error core 1603 with the following text (in swedish). It Says. "Error. A problem occured during preparation to install the program on your computer. Restart the computer and run this installation program again. Please visit the product support page if the error remains."

The error message is below.

What to do. I tried both the CD installer and downloaded the installer with same result.

Any help is appreciated.

/Stefan

Error code 1603.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @Kåre50,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with installing your Laserjet Pro M252dw Printer on your Windows 10 PC. I can help you with that.

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done:

1. In your search bar type in cmd and open the Command Prompt.
  2. Type in "msiexec /unregister" (no quotes) and press Enter.
  3. Type in "msiexec /regserver" (no quotes) and press Enter.
  4. In your search bar type in msconfig and open MS Config.
  5. Click on the Services tab.
  6. Click on Hide All by Microsoft.
  7. Click on Disable All.
  8. Click on the Start Up tab.
  9. Click on Disable All.
  10. Press OK and restart your PC.
  11. Download and install the latest drivers by clicking on this link.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to install, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

this fixed my problem while trying to install a M402n on a Windows 10 machine. Not sure if I am suppose to go renable all the stuff I shut off though....

HP Recommended

I have just bought a Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277 and I have the same problem on two Windows 10 Anniverseary Update laptops. The sollution above did not work for me. 

Please help!

HP Recommended

Hello

I recalled I had similar installation problems in the past so the solution to me in the end was to create a new user with admin rights (without connecting my network disk) even though my ordinary account also has admin right. Several occations before there has been a an error message related to my NAS disk being connected to z:.. So I have created a install user with a clean profile which has solved the problem. Anyhow the installation went smothly on this install user. Might or might not help you.

HP Recommended

Like many other options, I also tried this. I created a new user account and tried to install there, but the same problem occured.

Like I said, the error message occurd on not one but two Windows 10 Anniversary Update laptops. Exactly the same problem! Very frustrating. Should I return the printer because HP is not capaple of making instalation software that just works?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.