Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 1315
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was able to run my Photosmart 1315 on Windows 7 by using the 990c drivers.  What drivers can I use to make it work with Windows 10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @insman1132,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Because the Deskjet 990c is not offered on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 the alternate driver utilised is the Deskjet 9800 driver that I provided. Because that driver fails to work, the other option would be to upgrade this older model Photosmart to a newer model that would be better suited for the newer operating systems. Due to the age of your current printer, your product may qualify for an upgrade to a newer model product at a discounted price.

If you are considering upgrading the printer, I would recommend that you reach out to our Technical Support queue by phone to explore any upgrade options.

• HP Contact Number: [edited]

I wish you luck going forward with this! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey @insman1132,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're looking for an alternate driver that would allow you to utilise your HP Photosmart 1315 Printer on your Windows 10 computer. Because your printer is not compatible with Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 I can only provide you with a generic driver that may work for basic print capability. However, should a generic driver fail to work, then the only option would be to utilise your HP Photosmart on a supported Windows operating system (Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP).

The alternate driver that may work for you would be the Deskjet 9800. Simply go to Devices and Printers and run the Add a Printer Wizard to install your printer.  Once installed with the Deskjet 9800 driver please test printing.

Please let me know if this alternate driver works for you. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

No, sadly I get a printer error when I try to print.  Thanks for your effort.  Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hey @insman1132,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Because the Deskjet 990c is not offered on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 the alternate driver utilised is the Deskjet 9800 driver that I provided. Because that driver fails to work, the other option would be to upgrade this older model Photosmart to a newer model that would be better suited for the newer operating systems. Due to the age of your current printer, your product may qualify for an upgrade to a newer model product at a discounted price.

If you are considering upgrading the printer, I would recommend that you reach out to our Technical Support queue by phone to explore any upgrade options.

• HP Contact Number: [edited]

I wish you luck going forward with this! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I fear that is my only solution.  The old 1315 was running like a charm and I sort of hate to replace a printer that has been so wonderful.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Just got Photosmart 1315 working on Windows 10 (32 bit) using 990c drivers, used the method described but it took a bit of messing around.  The key thing I believe was choosing the USB001 virtual printer port for USB rather than LPT1.

Also got it working as a network shared printer to a Windows 10 (64 bit) machine but had to install a dummy 990c local printer firstly to get the 64 bit drivers from Windows update then installed the real network printer and deleted the fake local printer after.

All seems to work fine :TongueOut:

HP Recommended

Hello,

I've installed HP psc 1600 series drivers on USB001 virtual printer port and my Photosmart 1315 is working fine, so far.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64

HP Recommended

I am having trouble finding the USB virtual port that you say I can connect to in order to use the PSC1600 driver. I've downloaded the drivers already.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.