Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500 wirless 709e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

"the scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the networked device"

I have tried all the fixes I find online and nothing seems to work. I simply can no longer scan....I can print fine. But, can't scan. Need some help please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,

I found a document that covers issues after upgrading to Windows 10, thought it might help:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05195282

Good luck!!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

I work for HP, However, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP forum.

These resources may help you :

Windows 10 : Add an In-OS printer for Print

https://goo.gl/AAqvxb

Windows 10 : Scan using the In-Os drivers

https://goo.gl/smnYQo

Also, we'd like to suggest Webscan (Use IE or Chrome, avoid Microsoft Edge as that may cause some issues) :

First, we assume that your printer is installed via Network (either via Wireless or Ethernet connection)

1. Go to your printer and determine the IP address of printer e.g.  15.37.213.128
  2. Key the printer's IP address into your Internet Explorer web browser
  3. Go to Scan, there should be a Webscan option. If it says "You cannot use this function....", you'll need to enable it.
  4. Enabling Webscan : Click on "Settings"> "Security">"Administrator Settings" (just "Continue" if there are any warnings regarding Certificates, you may need to click on "Advanced" to continue)
  5. Under "Administrator Settings", there should be a "Webscan" option, make sure that is "Checked" and "Apply" or "Save" your settings.
  6. Go back to Scan and you should be able to see the options to Scan. Select "Document Source" to be "ADF", "Document Type" to be PDF and "Start Scan"! (You can also select “Document Source” to be “JPEG”)
  7. Once scanning is done, Right-click and save your file to the desired destination.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

I have figured out how to webscan and use Windows fax and scan. But, that still does not tell me what the problem is. I would prefer to use my HP Solutions Center to scan to PDF and multiple pages like it is supposed to. I have uninstalled and restarted so many times, that I have come to the conclusion that HP simply refuses to spend time updating to make this model functional with Windows 10. I have seen many users with the same problem and zero answers as to what the problem is and what the fix is.

So, can you tell me what is causing this issue and what the fix is so I can use my HP Solution Center to scan the way it was designed to?

Thank you,

HP Recommended

Hi @noscando

Thanks for the feedback.

We wish we knew the issue - it's a combination of software and operating system factors.

Can you try this alternative scan software:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Let us know if that works.

HP Recommended

Yeah! That seems to be the answer. But, it is seeing two printers...the original one and the webscan ( I think), because the one it works on has the name of my printer and then the IP address after the name. The other printer with the printer name only does not allow the Scan Extended to open...there is some message about not being able to establis communication instead. But, with the one with the IP address, it brings up the scan options, allows me to scan more than a single page, from the document feeder instead of the flatbed, and it does it in PDF option.

So, I can deal with that. At least the initial test works...hopefully it stays fixed.

Thanks very much.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

This alternate method of controlling scan from the computer vice printer w/o an HP Solution Center fix works for me too.  Would really still like to find the fix for Solution Center.  I suspect it is in artifacts of the many attempts to get WIN 10 working on a native VISTA HP machine that has been upgraded to WIN 7, then to WIN 10... and the many Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909G driver installs and uninstalls. 

HP Recommended

Hi @ChrisPt,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try this Uninstaller from Microsoft and then reinstall the FULL feature software again?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...

Let us know if that works!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.