Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I thought that I had posted the following question but as I can't find it I will try again.  I have been given a HP Scanjet 5590 scanner with no Software or Drivers for 64 bit Windows 7 computer and looking through the Web I saw some awful comments on the experiences of those using the software and drivers.  I don’t want to make the same mistake so could anyone tell me how to go about obtain the correct software and drivers? 

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Corporal,

Here is the link for the software...

If you have the "p" model, backtrack a the link and reselect the proper model.

You want the "Full Feature" software.

Note that the download size is 315MB - plan accordingly if you have a slow connection...

While you are there, be sure to download the Print Doctor utiltity.  (Do that first, it is tiny.)  This may help later with installation and connection issues, if needed.)

HP Scanjet 5590 Digital Flatbed Scanner series - Software and Drivers

I hope this helps...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give Kudos for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution” to say issue is solved.

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the information. The software loaded well and the advice to load the Print Utility made sense.

A supplementary question from an impatient technological incompetent who could probably find the answer himself if he wandered around the instructions long enough.

"How does one activate the document the automatic document feeder?"

HP Recommended

Well, I thought that the software downloaded well but as it took a fair amount of time I didn’t open it up properly for a test run until the next morning and when I did I’m blowed if I could make anything happen so I will dump the download and download the software again.

HP Recommended

Corporal,

As to the FFS download - check the file that did download; it should be 315MB.  If you trashed it, it may still be in your Recycle Bin.  If the issue is one of having it install, you could try dropping into "Safe Mode with Network" and try installing there.  Sometimes things work better when there are fewer "distractions".

I just went back and checked the site again.  There may be other "bits" that you'll want to augment your setup.  Take a look... There appear to be two patches for the Full Feature Software V13.0:

Patch to Locate the Scanned Image or File for Software V13.0

PDF Page-Size Patch for Software V13.0

If you do need to download again, then give it one more try... and consider that it appears that you can still order the CD/DVD with the software for this Printer.  I'd do this if I were you.  Having the CD gives you a means to install the software in the event that you cannot get the download to work and it  assures you will have the software in the future.

CD - HP Scanjet 5590 Software and Driver

Automatic Document Feeder and Other Exciting Topics

Here is the main page:

Main Page - HP Scanjet 5590 Digital Flatbed Scanner series

Once you get the software loaded, you should have access to an onboard help file.  I cannot get to the manuals online.  Could be they are missing - could be my incredible DSL line is just not up to the task.  (Yep, DSL - sad, isn't it?)

From the FAQ on the Subject of he ADF (Automatc Document Feeder):

HP Scanjet 5590 Digital Flatbed Scanner - Scanning with the ADF

Simplex scanning from the ADF
  1. Place a stack of similarly sized documents face-up in the document input tray, with the first page on top.
    Figure 1: Loading a document and center it in the ADF tray
  2. Adjust the paper guides to center the stack.
  3. Press a button on the scanner front panel or use the HP Director to begin scanning.
  4. Follow the instructions on the computer screen to finish scanning.

===================================================================

I hope this helps...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the information but I will leave that untill I solve this little problem.

With my Canoscan and Icon came up on the desktop when I finished loading the software that offered me a number of options to start scannin at once.  I've just spent most of the day loading the HP Scanjet 5590 software and then deleting it because it was not oporating and offerd no obvious solutions as to waht I had to do to start scanning.

I ooked in the place which shows all the software on my computer and found a Folder marked HP with three files, Scanjet, HP Solution centre and HP update.Scanjet was empty and as HP Solutions was next I tried that as it had the words, " Scan Document" but there was no obvious sign to tell me what to do next to start scanning.

Could someone please tell me if I have made a totall mess or what?

HP Recommended

I've spent hours attempting to get to grips with thsi problem and in the end I thought I would get the CD for the software but I gave up trying to find my way through the web page in the end.  I know that I am tired but quite frankly I'm not impressed with the HP Web Page.

HP Recommended

Corporal,

Well, Rats.

If the wepages are fighting you, you might call HP and ask them to send you the CD.  They will do that.  It only takes a few days to receive the package if you live in the USA. 

The business pages where that printer information is located can be slow to load (at least on my system), and the whole process is sometimes frustrating... go to the source and ask for help.  Smiling.

Contact HP - Worldwide

Contact HP - USA

Good Luck!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Having given up attempting to load the software from the HP Web Page I decided to attempt to buy the CD so I went through the following steps.

1.  I telephoned HP and attempted to but a CD with the software and drives but after waiting an excessive amount of time for a person tp speak to was told that they do not sell them from the telephone and I might wish to buy one from the HP Web Page4.  I told them that I had spent several hours attempting to do just with no success but I tried again.

2.  I found the page, "Contact HP-Worldwide. 

3.  I clicked onto United Kingdom.

4.  I clicked onto Shop Online.

5.  I clicked onto Support & Drivers.

6.  I entered HP Scanjet 5590, I even entered the part number L1911A to no avail.

7.  I I di not try the automated find service because after the fifth failed attempt to load the software and drivers from the HP Web Page I had uninstalled it all.

8.  I then attempted to use "Shop for products & Services tab.

9.  I clicked Scanners.

10.  Leaving aside the fact that I was supposed to be in a UK page all the prices were in dollars I tried yet again to search but with no luck.

It is of course possible that I am doing something wrong and if so would someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what I need to do to be able to buy the software and divers on a CD for a Scanjet 5590.

HP Recommended

Corporal,

I learned a new word recently from Down Under... has to do with Fluffy and Ducked.  I did think you could get help on the phone for this.  My apologies.  I don't work for HP and obviously I don't understand the policy.  Double Rats.

I think I understand why the part number did not work - L1911A is for the Automatic Document Feeder and not for the full HP Scanjet 5590 unit.

One of the things you might try, if you have not done so, is to drop the computer into "Safe Mode with Network" and try the installation there.  There is a lot less going on in Safe Mode and you may have success.

The only recommendation I found is to uninstall any previous software; now that you've done that, it is possible that the installation will be more likely to succeed.

I am not sure how that installation is failing; there may be something here that could help...

HP Scanjet 5590 - FAQ - Installation and Setup

I will see if I can find out something more on this... and I've put in a request for more help.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.