Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
B109a-m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since upgrading to Windows 10, my solution center has stopped working.  I have deleted all hp software, printer and driver and reinstalled the latest version but the problem is still there.  The solution center will not start (no error message).  Any ideas anyone?  Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I just uninstalled Microsoft KB3132372 update, clicked on Solution Center, and it opened immediately. In total, I lost about 3 hours working on this problem.

Cheers,

Joel

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi mabu2013 see the posts under "

It looks like this will be a common failure after the windows updates this week

HP Recommended

I also noticed exactly the same problem. Until today, 31 Dec 2015, I had been successfully using HP Solution Center v.14.0 on Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Build 10586) with my HP ENVY TS m7 Notebook PC and an older HP PSC 1410v All-in-One printer. 

When I tried to open the Solution Center earlier today, there was a "bong" sound with momentary display of the program's flash screen. I opened my Task Manager and confirmed that the Solution Center was not running and had not opened.

I completely uninstalled the Solution Center, rebooted, and reinstalled the program with the same failure to run.

My last successful use of the Solution Center was on 12/29/2015 when I used it to scan a document and save the scan as a PDF file.

I then researched any changes that were made to my system on or after 29 Dec 2015. There was only one change, as follows: "Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372)". 

I am almost certain that this is the cause of the problem. Microsoft states that it is aware that this update causes other software issues, but advises not to remove the update because it exposes systems to vulnerabilities.

Here are confirmations that this update is impacting HP Solution Center:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/HP-Solution-Center-fails-to-launch-after-W1...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/kb3132372-issues/fa2370eb-ff...

There are more issues as well. Just do a search for "KB3132372 issues"

I may try to test this theory myself by removing the Microsoft KB3132372 update as I rely heavily on the Solution Center.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joel

HP Recommended

I just uninstalled Microsoft KB3132372 update, clicked on Solution Center, and it opened immediately. In total, I lost about 3 hours working on this problem.

Cheers,

Joel

HP Recommended

Thanks for diagnosing this problem.  I downloaded the hp scan and capture app which enabled me to scan properly but it doesn't appear to allow me to change printer preferences.  I'll try your fix.

Many thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi Mabu,

You're most welcome. Glad that I could help. I'm sorry that the HP Support Center didn't pick up on this solution sooner. I have had good results when I contacted them about other issues.

I'm a little concerned about deleting the Windows update, but that's the only practical work-around. I'm sure that Microsoft will also come out with an update soon that doesn't cause these other issues.

Happy New Year to you.

Cheers,

Joel

mabu2013 wrote:

Thanks for diagnosing this problem.  I downloaded the hp scan and capture app which enabled me to scan properly but it doesn't appear to allow me to change printer preferences.  I'll try your fix.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the catch.  I also spent several hours over the last two days uninstalling/installing and following various threads.

Again thanks

Larry

HP Recommended

@Ectophile wrote:

Hi Mabu,

You're most welcome. Glad that I could help. I'm sorry that the HP Support Center didn't pick up on this solution sooner. I have had good results when I contacted them about other issues.

I'm a little concerned about deleting the Windows update, but that's the only practical work-around. I'm sure that Microsoft will also come out with an update soon that doesn't cause these other issues.

Happy New Year to you.

Cheers,

Joel

@mabu2013 wrote:

There is one more step that you can take to prevent Microsoft KB3132372 from being automatically re-installed by Windows 10 after you have uninstalled it. 

Download and run the WIndows Update Hide Show App:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

It will search and display a list of files. Click on "Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372)"

Then click on Next.

The WIndows Update Hide Show App will prevent Microsoft KB3132372 from being  automaticallydownloaded again.

See also:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Once again, I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joel

HP Recommended

Hi Joel,

That's another great tip.  I was wondering if there was a way to stop updates with Windows 10.  You're a star!

Many thanks,

Martin

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the forum. 

Please find the following relevant video that shows you how to "Uninstall Windows 10 updates" and also to "Hide updates" to prevent Windows from installing the update in future!

Windows 10 - How to Uninstall & Hide updates

https://goo.gl/3tWxyA

Hope that helps!

Please click the “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem and “Kudos Thumbs up”  as an encouragement

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.