Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear HP,

When I open 'printer properties' from my Office Word 2013 I get the following.

original.jpg

However, when I open 'printer properties'  via Control Panel, everything is OK.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi Hakkelaar,

Do these characters appear when you open the printer properties in other programs too, or just from Word 2013? I would suggest you do all of your Windows Updates and restart the computer. If the issue persists the next solution I propose is to delete the printer driver from the Printer Server Properties and then re-add it. Use the instructions below to accomplish this task.

In the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder

2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.

• Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows 7/8 and 8.1 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server properties’ above.

3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window

4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’

5. Choose 'Remove driver only'

6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.

If documents are stuck in the print spooler, you may see an error, cancel any documents pending in the print queue, or try restarting the print spooler, then try to remove the driver from ‘Print server properties’ again. If it still won’t remove the package, restarting the computer and the printer should resolve this ‘in use’ error and allow the driver to be removed.

After the driver is removed, open Start > All Programs > HP folder > Printer folder > HP Setup and Software (or the printer icon).

The Setup and software screen will open and you can click on Connect a new printer.

setup and software.JPG

Please let me know if this resolves the issue or if the issue lingers.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Already found the problem. (which only occures in Office 2013 programs like Word 2013 and such)

If I set the language of my Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit to English (United States) everything is ok.

If Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit language is set to English (United Kingdom) sh!t hits the fan.

Sunshyn2005 could you change your Word 2003 to Word 2013?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.