Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
M277dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got a surface pro4 and the printer driver to the m277dw doesn't seem to work.   I go through the whole installation process but it times out with a fatal error saying it took too long.  How can I resolve. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi! @Milo6, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you are unable to install the printer driver on your surface pro4 tablet.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

As you mentioned you get a fatal error while installing the driver on your tablet.

Please download and install Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware on your tablet.

Download the drivers directly from Microsoft using this link.

If the issue still persists download and install printer full feature driver using this link.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I see the zip file however but don't see how to install all the folders 

HP Recommended

Hi @Milo6,

I checked the reply comprehensively. As @MrRobot is out of office, I will be jumping in to assist you here. Thanks for trying to download the file. You’ve been simply awesome to work with. 🙂 Hats off to you on that score. Smiley Happy

Please double-click on the zip file and it should unzip on its own. If it does not do it, then please don’t get perturbed.

I have an ace up my sleeve.

Please try these steps:

First, uninstall the printer software completely from the computer by performing these steps.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.

Then reinstall the full feature printer software from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-Color-LaserJet-MFP-M277-series/7089945/... and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. I'm always there to assist you. Please reach out anytime. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now, stays healthy keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have completed the entire steps below.  The printer shows it is installing.  But once it gets to a 99% install number, it shows a fatal error again.  Stating it took too long to install.  What gives?

HP Recommended

@Milo6, Thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

1. Go into the device manager and find the printer in the list of devices
2. Right click on the printer and select "Update Driver software"
3. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"
4. Select "Let me pick from...."
5. Select the driver named: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw. (Make sure its the one with a dash between the PCL and 6!)
6. Click next and go back to the hp install box and it should now see the printer and continue the install.

If the issue still persists, uninstall the printer software from root level and install print basic drivers and check if it works.

·        In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.  

·        Select your HP printer.  

·        Select Uninstall.  

·        In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.  

·        In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”  

·        Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.  

·        Type printui.exe /s and click OK.  

·        Click on Drivers tab.  

·        Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.  

·        Select OK.  

·        Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.  

·        Close Devices and Printers. 

Please find the link to install printer basic drivers.

Let me know if this works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have attempted to do everything you are stating.   The install goes all the way through until it hits 99% completion.  It will not get past the 99% completion and a fatal error continues to show up.   I don't know what else to do.

HP Recommended

@Milo6

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service,

If you've already attempted all the steps previously suggested including the installation of the printer basic drivers,

I recommend using the windows built-in drivers instead and here's how you can do it:

Step 1: Set Windows Update to automatically download driver software

Open the Windows Device Installation Settings and confirm that your computer is set to automatically download driver software.

Step 2: Connect your printer to the computer

Connect your printer to the computer with a USB cable or through your local network so Windows can detect your printer during the print driver installation.

Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard

Select your printer connection type and use the Windows Add a Printer wizard to install the built-in print driver.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I do a direct connect as you state it ask for my Wps pin for the printer.  Where do I find this?

HP Recommended

@Milo6

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Here's a YouTube video that should help your cause: Click here to watch

Also, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped many others: Click here to find details about using WPS for the printer.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.