Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I need to reinstall my printer as I have changed my Router and WiFi settings.  I have tried three times to download the Driver File - 2540_188.exe.   It seems to take a long time each time I have tried and when I try to open the file I firstly get a Securtiy wanring from Windows 10 and If i By pass that and try to open the file I get a "file corrupt" message.

Please can anyone help?

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @brianardmore🙂

I came across your post about the troubles you're having when installing the printer on your Windows 10 system, and wanted to reply with my suggestions.

I would recommend power cycling the network devices and a clean boot on your computer and then try the install again.

1. Turn off the printer and computer and unplug the router for 1 minute (do not press any buttons on the router).

2. Plug the router back in and wait another minute, next turn on the printer and computer.

3. From the computer, clean boot it: Clean Boot instructions

4. Download and install the printer here: printer install file

5. Return back to the clean boot instructions and enable the start up programs.

Side note: The security program you have on your computer could be detecting the printer as a threat. Try looking through the settings in that program to add the printer to the 'allow' list so it knows it's safe.

You can also try installing the printer using a different method, such as if you are installing wireless, try USB and then convert the USB to wireless when you're done the install.

If you have any issues let me know the details. Good luck!

Hit the "Accept as Solution" if we've reached a solution, and the "thumbs up" to say thanks for my help.

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @brianardmore🙂

I came across your post about the troubles you're having when installing the printer on your Windows 10 system, and wanted to reply with my suggestions.

I would recommend power cycling the network devices and a clean boot on your computer and then try the install again.

1. Turn off the printer and computer and unplug the router for 1 minute (do not press any buttons on the router).

2. Plug the router back in and wait another minute, next turn on the printer and computer.

3. From the computer, clean boot it: Clean Boot instructions

4. Download and install the printer here: printer install file

5. Return back to the clean boot instructions and enable the start up programs.

Side note: The security program you have on your computer could be detecting the printer as a threat. Try looking through the settings in that program to add the printer to the 'allow' list so it knows it's safe.

You can also try installing the printer using a different method, such as if you are installing wireless, try USB and then convert the USB to wireless when you're done the install.

If you have any issues let me know the details. Good luck!

Hit the "Accept as Solution" if we've reached a solution, and the "thumbs up" to say thanks for my help.

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.