Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OFFICE JET PRO 8620
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Until recently, I was able to use the HP Printer Assistant from my pc.
Now, when I try to open the HP Printer Assistant, I get a script error: Automation server can't create object Line 52 Char 13 Code 0 url file:///C:/Program%20Files/HP/HP%20Deskjet%201000%20110%series/Bin/HPSProgress.hta.
I have tried unchecking script error in Internet Options - still does not work.
Also, I have tried uninstalling & installing software, with no results.

When I chatted into hp, they suggested I download the hp print & scan doctor 5.0, which I did & ran scans. All results showed green checkmarks, and recommended updates installed. The error message still pop's up whenever I open the HP officejet s/w.
Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @freda101,

Thanks for the post and Welcome to HP Forums. 

I understand that you are facing an issue opening the HP Printer Assistant on your computer. 

Don't Worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying a lot of troubleshooting steps on your own.

However are you able to print to the printer?

Are you able to make a copy on the printer?

I recommend you to do a clean uninstall of the printer following the procedure mentioned below. 

Uninstall the printer from programs and features from the control panel. (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it.

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is booted to the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am able to print and copy - however, I have no access
to the hp printer  from my pc. As mentioned, the software opens with a running script error.

Yesterday, I contacted hp support, who remoted in, and tried all the trouble shooting steps

that you suggested above, without any luck.
In their frustration, all they said in the end, was suggest that I re-image my Windows.
This is very disappointing, as I have been using hp printers for years, including my
current hp officejet pro 8620 that was working fine until about a month or two ago.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. 

Did the phone representative create a new user account your computer and try installing the printer?

If they have not tried it. 

Please uninstall the printer software as suggested by me earlier. 

Create a new user account on your computer and check. 

Refer to this Microsoft article for assistance. 

Let me know how it goes. 

If the issue persists, please try a different computer before you reimage your computer. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.