Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 1022
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello all - I volunteer for a non-profit for tax preparation and the season starts soon.  The majority of the printers we have in our district are HP 1022 (12 out of 15) and they are USB-only.  We 'share' the printers among multiple preparers by swapping the USB cable back and forth.  In an effort to end that situation, I tried using a Network to USB print server (http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5342), which - if it worked as advertised - would allow the print server to operate the printer via USB while communicating with the router at the site.  Since our laptops communicate wirelessly with the router, we would end up with a "semi-wireless" system in that it would be wireless from the standpoint of the laptop users: No cable-swapping needed.  Unfortunately, I cannot get that setup to work.  The green and yellow network lights on the print server blink as if there was network activity, but the 1022 printer has no reaction at all.

( Trying it on a HP 2055 (usng its driver, of course) resulted in some printer activity, but it was gibberish.  When trying to print the standard test page from Windows 7, what came out were several pages with one or two or three rows of random ASCII characters - and after a brief pause, three more pages would print with one or two or three rows of random ACSII characters - ad infinitum.   At this point the printer was switched off to end the waste of paper & toner.)

I guess there are two questions:

1)  Does anyone know if this Network-USB Print Server can be made to work with a HP 1022?

2)  Might I get better results with a different driver for the HP 2055?  I see there are 3 drivers available: PCL5, PCL6, and PostScript.  I think I am currently using the PCL5 driver. 

Sorry to be long-winded, but I wanted to be as specific as possible.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@herbk98

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

I appreciate the in-depth analysis, it's quite impressive.

As I understand apart from the details mentioned above, the answer to your 2 questions are mentioned below:

1) The HP laserjet 1022 can be made to work with the network-USB print server and here's how: Click here (go through the .doc file for details)

2) You may use the Universal PCL6 as an alternative since it has worked on other computers.

Let me know how that pans out and if I missed any of you other queries.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.