Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 64bit edition.  I'm trying to connect to my (networked) Deskjet 810C but I can't find the drivers for it.  HP's site says the drivers are all available from Windows Update (for Windows XP-64, Windows Vista-64, etc.) and therefore doesn't give any links to download them.  So I went to the Microsoft Update Catalog online and looked for 810C but there are no relevant hits found for that string.  Based on info from other posts in this forum, I've also looked in the catalog for 812C drivers but I've only found ones for x86 and IA64 architectures, none for x64.  I've tried the x86 and IA64 ones anyway, but they don't work.

Can someone point me directly, explicitly, I'm-a-moron-ly to where I can find some kind of useful driver for this printer?  Other people in the forum obviously seem to have their 810C's up and running connected to Windows 7 (I mean, there's a patch for the driver I can't seem to find and everything!), so what am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Deskjet 812c driver is a good match for the Deskjet 810c. For a networked printer that is shared from another machine do the following: on the Windows 7 machine go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, then click on Windows Update and wait a few minutes for the list of drivers to update, then select the HP (not Hewlett-Packard) Deskjet 812c.  For 64 bit systems you will need to apply the patch from here after the printer is installed before you print anything.

dj 812c.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

There isn't currently Windows 7 driver available for the 810c, however there is a workaround.  Here is the support document that provides steps on the workaround:

Installing the Product with the USB Cable and Using the Windows Update Driver or the Driver Located ...

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

The Deskjet 812c driver is a good match for the Deskjet 810c. For a networked printer that is shared from another machine do the following: on the Windows 7 machine go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, then click on Windows Update and wait a few minutes for the list of drivers to update, then select the HP (not Hewlett-Packard) Deskjet 812c.  For 64 bit systems you will need to apply the patch from here after the printer is installed before you print anything.

dj 812c.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Bob.  That did it!  I'd seen the guide that explained how to install a printer via USB but since I couldn't physically plug my printer in, I couldn't get to the dialog-up box that you screencapped. But your explanation got me there.  Awesome!

HP Recommended

i have tried to re instal the software but still i cannot get the printer working.Anything more I can do.It seems there is  no communication between my computer and the printer.

HP Recommended

Thanks .Have tried to follow your instructions but no good.

HP Recommended

@Sidneymoo wrote:

Thanks .Have tried to follow your instructions but no good.

Please read this post then provide some details.  What operating system? How is the printer connected - do you have a parallel port or a USB-Parallel adapter?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.