Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet M553dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HELP! -- I'm stuck again installing TCP/IP drivers for the M553dn on a Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit Intel-based PC.  Trying first to manually install the simple PCL6 driver (no insaller) as described in the following:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7527705&swItemId=lj_145736_2&swEnvOid=406...

Step 15 says, "Select the appropriate INF file" [emphasis mine].  I can't be the only person stumbling over this because I see other questions out there without any meaningful answers:  How the heck do I tell which of the five .inf files in the expanded driver directory is the correct one for my system? -- jclarkw

P.S. -- The corresponding PostScript driver is UDP only.  It's instructions from the "UDP System Adminstrators Guide" (see Method 1, pp. 51-52), which can be found at:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/action.process/public/psi/manualsDisplay/?s...

says in Step 10, "In the unzipped HP UPD file, select any .inf file, and then select Open and OK" [emphasis mine].  Why don't I have to select the "appropriate" .inf in this case too?  Could this guidance apply to the PCL6 driver as well? -- jcw

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>>How the heck do I tell which of the five .inf files in the expanded driver directory is the correct one for my system?<<

Well, I gave up on you guys and called HP tech support.  They tell me that, since XP, all versions of Windows automatically select the correct .INF file.  Therefore it's only necessary to select any .INF file (effectively, to point Window to the correct directory), and the installation will proceed correctly.  I hope this helps somebody else! -- jclarkw

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

>>How the heck do I tell which of the five .inf files in the expanded driver directory is the correct one for my system?<<

Well, I gave up on you guys and called HP tech support.  They tell me that, since XP, all versions of Windows automatically select the correct .INF file.  Therefore it's only necessary to select any .INF file (effectively, to point Window to the correct directory), and the installation will proceed correctly.  I hope this helps somebody else! -- jclarkw

HP Recommended

This is way way too late to help you, but maybe it will help someone else.  I was lookin for the right .inf to install as well.  I was just going to try all of them using CMD and see which one stuck.  

But I installed the drivers and added the printer using the .exe utility.  I looked through the driver details for clues with no luck.  When I "remove driver  package" in print manager (on windows 10) it showed me what .inf it had removed.  

I plugged that into my batch script and boom; it installed.  I hope this helps somebody.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.