Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 13 p111nrx2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Win10-Update, Null Fax - HP Officejet 4630 series - Error 0x80070490

Every day or two, I get this Windows unsuccessful update error (see above).

Printer:  HP 4630 All-in-one

Computer:  HP Pavilion 13 p111nrx2

Model:  E9L41UA

Operating System:  Windows 10

64 bit

I have completely uninstalled the printer software and reinstalled it and reset all of my preferences on it.  Painful, but did not work.  Printer also keeps going off-line and it is supposed to be a wireless printer.  Extremely frustrating to have a wireless printer that never seems to be wireless.

Anyone know how I can fix the update error and/or the offline issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

1)  Start => Settings => Devices => ...click and REMOVE DEVICE:  a) Officejet 4630 series and, b) Null Fax Printer

2)  Unistalled all the components of Officejet 4630 series in the following order

HP Update

Product Improvement...

Officejet 4630 series Help

HP Officejet 4630 series Basic Device Software

3)  Right clicked the Start button => Clicked DEVICE MANAGER => (under my PC's) Printers => ....clicked to highlight the Null Fax => Action pull down menu => UNINSTALL

4)  Restarted my PC

5) Installed the downloaded/saved full feature of the HP printer 

6)  Restarted again my PC, checked the DEVICE MANAGER (from right clicked start selection) - NULL FAX is gone!, checked the DEVICES from SETTINGS (Start => Settings), No NULL FAX this time - AND -the correct HP Fax printer is now installed!

7) Go ahead and check for updates, my PC is now updated, no errors should appear.

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

1)  Start => Settings => Devices => ...click and REMOVE DEVICE:  a) Officejet 4630 series and, b) Null Fax Printer

2)  Unistalled all the components of Officejet 4630 series in the following order

HP Update

Product Improvement...

Officejet 4630 series Help

HP Officejet 4630 series Basic Device Software

3)  Right clicked the Start button => Clicked DEVICE MANAGER => (under my PC's) Printers => ....clicked to highlight the Null Fax => Action pull down menu => UNINSTALL

4)  Restarted my PC

5) Installed the downloaded/saved full feature of the HP printer 

6)  Restarted again my PC, checked the DEVICE MANAGER (from right clicked start selection) - NULL FAX is gone!, checked the DEVICES from SETTINGS (Start => Settings), No NULL FAX this time - AND -the correct HP Fax printer is now installed!

7) Go ahead and check for updates, my PC is now updated, no errors should appear.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions step by step and it has been about a week with no problems.

HP Recommended

Well, now I continue to get prompts stating that my printer is offline each time I want to print.  For a wireless printer, this is the most frustrating printer I have ever owned.  The purpose of a wireless printer is to be wireless and for some reason, this printer is always offline.  I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the printer several times.

Any suggestions.  I see others are having the same issue.  I have not gotten a new modem/router, changed any programs on my laptop or added any other hardware recently.  I only print about once a month but it would be nice to actually be able to use the printer.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you try using a TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

HP Recommended

First, thank you so much for your response.

You provided excellent instructions and I did not need the video.

I was successful in creating  the TCP/IP port and. . . . I can print!  I've had this printer 2 years now, and it has always been offline and frustrating.  I hope this has fixed my problem.

What I noticed while I was looking at the existing listing of ports, was that the local port/fax-HP Officeject 4630 was selected, not the WSD Port/HP Officejet 4630.  So, that may have been the root of my problem.  Regardless, the fixed IP address is working.

REALLY appreciate your help.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @NeedFixin,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Frankly, WSD port has been known to be problemtic.

Moreover, would advise you to get the latest Win 10 updates as there are fixes to these issues.

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

Dear Expert,

In item 5 you mentioned  "Installed the downloaded/saved full feature of the HP printer". Can you provide or give the reference to this file?

Many thanks,

HP Recommended

The TCP/IP suggestion completely solved my printer offline problem.  While I gave you a thumbs up, I do not see anywhere to click "this solved my problem" option.  I will gladly do that but I need a little guidance, please, to find it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.