Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet J4550 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I plan on upgrading from Windows 8.1 (64-bit) to Windows 10 (64-bit) and checked the printer download section for a Windows 10 driver for this printer but didn't find one. Will this printer be compatiable with Windows 10 and will HP provide a Windows 10 driver.

Thanks,

Jerry125

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Jerry125,

Yes! The Officejet J4550  will work and is supported on Windows 10.

I checked and verified that it appears the Win10 driver link for this device is missing: this is something we are currently working on to resolve.

In the interim, let me suggest you download and install the Windows 8.1 drivers: these have been tested and proved working on Windows 10.

To get to the Windows 8.1 drivers.

1. Search for your device on hp.com/Support/Download Drivers.
  2. Take Option2: 'Go directly to the Software & Driver results'.
  3. On the banner on your screen that says 'Operating System' click edit and change Windows Version to 'Microsoft Windows 8.1'.
  4. You should now see the printer's name, version, date, and a Download button: click it and download and install the software for your device.
  5. Important: Unplug your device 1st before installing software.
Regards,
HardCopy (I am employed by HP) [If this was helpful, please mark this 'Solved' or 'Accept as Solution' so others can find this too]

How to Give Kudos | How to mark as Solved

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

As soon as the final version of Windows 10 is available, check the HP web site for updated drivers.

However, you should not upgrade to Windows 10 until at least 6 months after final introduction. 

HP Recommended

Hello Jerry125,

I checked and verified that it appears the Win10 driver link for this device is missing: this is something we are currently working on to resolve.

In the interim, let me suggest you download and install the Windows 8.1 drivers: these have been tested and proved working on Windows 10.

3. On the banner on your screen that says 'Operating System' click edit and change Windows Version to 'Microsoft Windows 8.1'.
  4. You should now see the printer's name, version, date, and a Download button: click it and download and install the software for your device.
Regards,
HardCopy (I am employed by HP) [If this was helpful, please mark this 'Solved' or 'Accept as Solution' so others can find this too]

How to Give Kudos | How to mark as Solved
HP Recommended
I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and now my OfficeJet J4550 does not work.  I am unable to install the drivers.  I tried the method below, and the process failed.
Any suggestions?

@HardCopy wrote:

Hello Jerry125,

HP Recommended

After upgrading to Windows 10 the HP Solution Center quit working properly. When I would try to scan something it would say device not responding.  I tried to uninstall the HP software but it will not uninstall and when I try to reinstall I get the message "fatal error during installation. The older version of BufferChm cannot be removed". I have tried every solution I can find but none will fix this issue.  I guess I need to buy another printer but am afraid to get an HP as I might get this same error when installing the new software.  Guess I will go with a Canon since I never have problems with Canon.

HP Recommended

Hi @Mike471,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're unable to scan with your printer since upgrading to Windows 10. I will certainly do my best to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

If you have not replaced your HP Printer yet, I recommend that you try the steps from one of these guides:

Also, please follow the steps within this guide:

Hope this answers your question. Please respond to this post with the results. Thank you for posting!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Issue had been previously resolved.

HP Recommended

I actually got the printer to work using the HP J4500 driver found in the Control Panel/Devices and Printers. I made a shortcut to the driver and placed it on the desktop.  I used to use the HP Solutions Center software but it no longer runs and when I try to uninstall it it will not completely uninstall.  I downloaded and tried to reinstall the software but the installation fails with the error message: Fatal error during installation. The older version of BufferChm cannot be removed.  Goto http://www.hp.com/support for troubleshooting info about Fatal error and MSI.BufferChm.  I attempted to reinstall the HP software a number of times with the same result.  Right now the printer and scanner are working but the HP Solutions Center software will not run or let me reinstall it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.