Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need assistance in installing an HP Laserjet 1012. I have followed Sean's suggestions and have downloaded the HP 1015 driver. I can not get a test page to print. I am using Windows 7, have the USB cable plugged into a back port. My issue seems to come when choosing a 'port'. I do not have a USB port listed as an option. Nor the Generic IEEE .... unless i create it. And then i'm not sure I'm creating it correctly. I have tried using the 'local printer' option and the 'network' option. Appreciate any and all assistance. Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Where can I find a Printer driver for HP Laserjet 1012 that is compatible with Windows 7?

HP Recommended

Sorry that you are both are having a problem downloading a driver for the Laserjet 1012. 

Have you tried downloading an alternative driver. (Shane_R) has a great post on how to do so.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/How-to-Assign-Alterna...

Let me know if this helps. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

RE:

I have seen multiple people use the Laserjet 1015 Windows 7 drivers for the LJ 1012.
Try this:

From Start/Devices and Printers.
-Choose add a printer.
-Choose Windows update at the bottom of the install printer driver window because the HP Laserjet 1015 will not be on the list of HP printers. But after the update there it was "HP Laserjet 1015".
-Choose Generic IEEE 1284.4 as the printer port

Here is a how to document: HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet, and LaserJet AiO/MFP Products - Install the driver included in the Wind...

Best of luck!
SeanS

---------

1. Add printer as above, except "Choose Generic IEEE 1284.4 as the printer port", which has to be created if not in the "existing port" list. Then there is a second "choosing" under 3 below.
2. Open Devices and Printers
3. Plug in LaserJet 1012 printer USB cable and turn on printer
windows 7 fails to find driver for LaserJet 1012 and adds Unspecified item
- see HP LaserJet 1015 (there from previous "add printer")
- rt-click
- HP LaserJet 1015 Properties
- Ports tab
- Check Generic 1284.4 printing support (unchecks - darn, name changed to Generic 1284.4)

HP Recommended

Great!  The solution worked! 

(Note that the port type must be selected before choosing the printer.)

HP Recommended

I had the Laserjet 1012 working with Windows 7, but we now have Windows 8.  Has anyone found a driver that will work with Windows 8?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

SeanS,

You're the bomb!  HP soooo aggravated me when they offered no solution for the 1012 working with Win7 other than a $5.00 trade in.  Thanks for your wisdom.  I did as you instructed and now my 1012 is functioning as a 1015.  Why didn't HP think of that?

Again, thank you so much.

HP Recommended

it is so easy to fix

follow these steps:

1- plug your printer in the USB port.

2-keep win 7 to search intill fail to find it.

3-go to the device manager--> open the other devices-->right click on generic ieee 1284.4 printing support-->update driver.

4- browse driver.

win 7 32bit go to:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

press download.

for win 7 64bit go to:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

and press download.

then u will find it automatically in the devices and printer

good luck.

HP Recommended

My colleague who is having the issue has Windows 8, 64-bit.  Will this apply to Windows 8 as well?

HP Recommended
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.