Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i have windows  7 64 bit, will this support for 64 bit

HP Recommended

I too had issues using my old HP printers with Windows 7. However, I found a terrific solution-- I bought new printers from Canon. Which supports all my old XP systems, my Windows Vista systems, my Windows 7 systems AND my Linux systems. No more HP, no more problems.

HP Recommended
Los15, great work, confirmed on Win7 64bit - it works!
HP Recommended

I run a Win 7 Home version -64 Bit Version and I've tried all the suggested fixes to no avail.  If anyone has a fix for the 64-Bit version, please post.  I really want to keep this work horse of a computer.

HP Recommended

Use Wndows server 2003 driver for HP laserjet 1000 printer if you have windows 7. It is working fine so far. But I never buy a HP printer in my life.

HP Recommended

Anandan, do you have Win 7 64-bit? 

HP Recommended

Los15 is a GENIUS.....tytytytyty

i am printing documents and graphics perfectly from my Win7 64 bit computer through my network to my computer that does nothing but host my printer.  In Step 4 under the instructions for the Win7 64 bit computer I would add that the HP 1100MS may not be listed untill you click the "Windows Update" button right below the list of printers and windows will download a new list and several new drivers (for older HP's) are there.  If you need to print directly from a win7 64bit computer to your Laserjet 1000 then I suggest simply adding the printer manually as a local printer but force it to set up as a 1100MS. I have not tried this I have no need to but it seams logical.

Once again thanks to Los15 !!!

HP Recommended

This along with the other post below helped me.  Now the hp laser jet 1000 works fine on my windows 7.

HP Recommended

Many thanks to Los 15 for a very useful posting.  I had spent half a day trying to get a Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit laptop to print on an HP LaserJet 1000 that is installed in an XP SP3 system, through our home network.  Other XP SP3 systems in the network can print fine on it.

The procedure Los 15 proposed worked well, so far I have only made two attempts to print and they have worked OK.  But in this case, it was much simpler to perform:

I) On the 32 bit system I just left the printer installed as it was - only performed steps 11 and 12 on the LaserJet 1000 DOS, which was already installed.  I changed the port to USB1, which is the one on which the printer is installed.

II) On the 64 bit Windows 7 system I followed the whole procedure described: steps 1 to 4.  The LaserJet 1000 DOS, showed up as Printer under "Devices and Printers", so that was the printer name I used to create the Local Port.   Had to update the HP printer list originally presented by W7 because it did not contain the HP LaserJet 1100 MS, which only showed up after the update.  Printer is installed as HP LaserJet 1100 MS.  Installation was rather fast.  Worked fine.  If there are any hitches later on its functioning I will update this post.

I am very glad to be able to continue to use this printer because it has worked great throughout 8 years and, additionally, the HP printers that replace it seem to work with a 1600 page cartridge, vs. 2500 pages for the LaserJet 1000.

Hope this helps somebody

@Los15 wrote:

After working on this for a while, I've pieced together some solutions offered by other frustrated HP customers.  Below is a solution that will work for Windows 7 64-bit clients printing to a Windows 7 32-bit shared LaserJet 1000 printer:

On the 32bit Machine:

1.  Delete all instances of LaserJet 1000

2.  Download XP version of HP LaserJet 1000 Printing Software Solution at the following link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=45675&pr...

3.  Extract the Printing Software Solution files to folder, e.g. c:\hp\lj1488

4.  Cancel the auto install.  Trust me, cancel the install.

5.  Navigate to the extracted files, sort by type and for every .exe file you will need to right click and set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3.

6.  After setting all the .exe files to the correct compatibility mode run setup.exe.

7.  After successful install you will notice two printers.  One is the LaserJet 1000 and the other is the LaserJet 1000 DOS.  They are not read to print.  Need to fix driver issue on LaserJet 1000 in the next step.

8.  Download the XP version of the Host Based Driver at the same link above.

9.  Extract those files to folder, e.g. c:\hp\lj1000hb

10.  Go back to Printers and Devices and right click the LaserJet 1000 printer.  Update the driver to the host based driver.

11.  Now here is the crucial part, Right Click on LaserJet 1000 DOS printer.  Change the port from print to file to USB.

12.  Share the LaserJet 1000 DOS printer.

On the 64 bit Windows 7 machine trying to connect to the shared printer:

1.  Add a printer and choose local printer. 

2.  Add a port, choose create a new port, choose local port

3.  Enter a port name.  The port name will be \\Computer Name\Share Printer Name, in this case use the LaserJet 1000 DOS printer

4.  Then choose the following driver when creating the printer:  HP LaserJet 1100 MS.  Works perfect with that DOS printer.

5.  Do a test print and give yourself a high five.

6.  Winning.

Good luck.  

Here are the links I used to piece this together:

http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=46368&page=2  (VTSteve post)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/56009-3-laserjet-1000-compatible (KellyB post)

HP Recommended

Sorry but in II) - first line - it should read Printer3 and not just Printer for the LaserJet 1000 DOS, under "Devices and Printers".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.