Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

contact hp support. They try to help you, but they thent ell you to contact hp bussiness support, where they dont let you enter the website unless you have the SN from the printer, which wont even work in the box because its out dated. HP isnt my next source for a printer .

HP Recommended

Just installed Windows 7 Ultimate and used the XP driver link on previous page. Installed as a new printer, selected USB virtual printer port, pointed to the driver folder, and everything works perfectly .. much easier to set up than on Vista.

HP Recommended

Are you using 32 or 64 bit Win 7? I haven't had any luck and I have 64 bit.......

HP Recommended

What version of Win 7 are you going to run:  32 or 64 bit.  Please see my posts dated 10-23-2009 & 11-01-2009.  The guide will say no but the LJ1000 runs fine on 32-bit Win 7.  As far as I know, you are out of luck for the 64-bit version as I don't think there is a 64-bit driver for this printer.  Good Luck.

HP Recommended

FYI - I just installed Windows 7 32bit.  I dowloaded the XP drivers dated 2002.  Used the self extracting file, than stopped the install after that.  With my LJ 1000 plugged in, Windows 7 show the printer, but did show it not functional.  Right clicked the printer icon under printers/devices then properties and updated the driver with the XP driver and it has been working fine. 

Good Luck. 

It is very disappointing that HP has not solved this problem.  I also have a M1522nf that is not supported, which I have not been able to get working.

HP Recommended

I'm not very computer literate!! Where did you download the xp2002 driver from---perhaps you could post EXACTLY how to do this for us non-computer people? PLEASE and thank you!!

HP Recommended

I wanted to reply to the last post as to where to find the XP driver, so I Googled "HP LJ 1000 driver" and among the first listings was one for HP regarding HP series LJ 1000 available drivers.  This led to the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=45675&locale=en_US&task...

That link shows that there are now drivers for Win 7 both 32 and 64 bit systems as well as other systems.

I have not tried the download since my printer is working fine.

Perhaps HP has stepped up to the plate and provided what is needed for this old work horse.

So, to simsolfin, may I suggest that you copy and paste this link into your browser and it should take you to where you need to go to get the driver you are looking for.

Let us know how you do.  And good luck!!

HP Recommended

Thanks Marvin, I tried the link and it goes to the available products---but good old 1000 is still Category 6-not available

HP Recommended

Did you try to download the XP version?  That is what all of us that use Win7 32 bit have been using.  I would give that a try.

HP Recommended

The HP LaserJet 1000 is not supported for Windows 7 by HP.  However, I am currently using it with Windows 7 Ultimate edition.  To get it working, simply explore the installation disc that came with the printer, find the setup.exe file, and then right click on it to run the setup file in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2.  To my knowledge, there was no Vista driver, and definitely no Windows 7 driver.

If you need to share the HP LJ 1000, it becomes a little more difficult, particularly if you're trying to get it working with Vista.

By default, Vista tries to see the printer using the Guest account.  This account is not configured under the Windows 7 security permissions for the printer.  To make it work (and I stress that I doubt this would work under Win 7 Basic or Home Premium... probably just under Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate).... you need to add the Guest account to the printers list of allowed users, and then grant Guest full access.

Basically here's how it plays out.

1) Enable the root level Admin account in WIndows 7.

2) Login to the Admin account.  By default the password is blank... (unless you set the password on your install of Windows 7)

3)  Go to Printers and Devices

4) Right click on the Printer and go into Printer Properties.

5) Click on the Security tab.

6) Proceed to add the Guest account and grant it full permissions.

7) Disable Password Protected File Sharing under the Advanced options of the Network and Sharing center in the control panel.

Now go to your Vista machine and attempt to add a network printer.  As long as the two computers are on the same workgroup you should have no problem locating it.  Add the printer.  It is possible that you might have to install the XP driver on Vista, but I don't recall doing so. 

At this point, you should be able to print a test page.

Hope this is helpful to everyone.

These instructions should allow everyone to use this printer as a host-based printer under any version of Windows 7 and will allow you to share it to a Vista or XP machine under Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate.  I don't think sharing will work with Home Premium, because I don't think you'll have the snap-in that allows you to turn off Simple Sharing and manually configure user rights for specific users.  That is, Vista will keep using the Guest account, but it won't be available to add under the lower end versions of Windows 7.

HP could easily resolve this by simply creating the appropriate driver.  Doubtful they'll do it though since the product has likely reached "End of LIfe" in the product Lifecycle.

If anyone has questions, let me know.

[text removed for privacy]

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.