Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My computer runs Vista and I recently installed a HP 1510 series printer.  It prints regular documents fine, but when I try to print 4x6 pictures it will not print the full size.  I am given only one option in print job (Windows Photo Gallery is default software) full page.  I have tried selecting and de-selecting "fit frame" and it made not difference.  I have reset the printer a few times and checked to be sure all drivers were up-to-date.  I just want to click on the picture and have it print the right size!  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

MaryLiz,

You do have to have the Full Feature Software installed for your printer for this to all work properly:

Install Full Feature Software - Printer

If you have the printer software installed, it is probably OK.

===========================================================================

If you select paper size 4X6, then you cannot also select the other options shown in that last column.  These are mutually exclusive.  The options that are available change according to the kind of paper you select.

Are you using 4X6 paper in the printer?

The printing preferences are something you have to set up the way you like -- and then change them when you change the paper, change the "thing" you are printing, change your mind about what you want...

You can click on a photo and have it automatically print a 4X6 photo if you have a printer with a photo-tray in it with photo paper loaded and ready to go.  You would still have to change the printing preferences if you wanted to change the setup for any reason at all.

I think I might be missing the point entirely.  My apologies for the Sloth-Brain.  Smiling.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi MaryLiz62,

I may be missing something here; my apologies for any misunderstanding on my part.

Depending on your viewpoint and the options you have available; the following may help.

Fit picture to frame does not shift the total size of the picture printed -- it adjusts the frame of view of the photo that is printed. 

Examples:

Print_Photo_to_Photo_Tray_No-Fit_1.JPG

Print_Photo_to_Photo_Tray_Fit_1.JPG

There are couple of ways to control the size of a print:

• Select the paper size and then load the appropriate paper into the printer to accomodate the print
  • Select Paper size as Letter, Select type as Plain or Photo Paper, and then Select the PRINT SIZE (right column)

Example:

Print_Photo_to_Letter_Paper_Select-Size_3.JPG

Printing Preferences tend to stick:

Paper Size and Media Type are selected in Printing Preferences.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your Printer >

Printing Preferences > Paper / Quality >>

Select Paper Source > as desired

Select Paper Size > as desired

Select Media > as desired

OK

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The display you show as last in your answer gives options that don't show up on my computer.  It lets me choose paper size (4x6), but no other options except fit to frame.  The quality has only one option - automatic, and it only shows full page, no other selections.  Does this mean my printer did not install properly?  When I go to printer properties I have the options for paper type, etc, but not from the program that opens as default.

Have any other suggestion I can try?   If not, I thank you for your response and will definitely give you kudos.

HP Recommended

MaryLiz,

You do have to have the Full Feature Software installed for your printer for this to all work properly:

Install Full Feature Software - Printer

If you have the printer software installed, it is probably OK.

If you select paper size 4X6, then you cannot also select the other options shown in that last column.  These are mutually exclusive.  The options that are available change according to the kind of paper you select.

Are you using 4X6 paper in the printer?

The printing preferences are something you have to set up the way you like -- and then change them when you change the paper, change the "thing" you are printing, change your mind about what you want...

You can click on a photo and have it automatically print a 4X6 photo if you have a printer with a photo-tray in it with photo paper loaded and ready to go.  You would still have to change the printing preferences if you wanted to change the setup for any reason at all.

I think I might be missing the point entirely.  My apologies for the Sloth-Brain.  Smiling.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.