Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2540
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hello,

I'm having a problem setting up my Deskjet 2540 all-in-one printer on my macbook (osx El Capitan). After basic setting up through usb-connection, I was able to connect my printer to my router, making wireless printing possible. I was then able to print wireless from my phone using All-In-One Remote app.

However, I now also want my macbook to make a wireless connection to the printer in stead of the usb-connection used for setup. I can't seem to find the option to convert a usb-printer to a wifi-connected printer. When disconnecting from usb, the laptop notes the connection with the printer is lost. For setting up my printer I use the HP Utility software, in which I can't find such an option. Also, when going through Apple->system preferences->Printers and scanners I can't find a 'convert to wireless'  option. I also read a method through Finder->applications->HP and then a Setup&Software icon should be there? In my case, there is only the HP utility icon, which directs me back to the same programme in which I couldn't find the option.

What am I looking for, and where can I find it?

Might be a bit exessive description, but I hope this makes it extra clear...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Jeppie

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! 

I read your post on how you are trying to connect your HP Deskjet 2540 to your Mac using a wireless connection. I am happy to help! 

Please take a look at this video, Installing an HP Printer in Mac OS X v10.11 El Capitan Using a Network Connection, and let me know what happens! 

If this helps, please consider clicking on 'accept as solution.' And, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Hope this resolves your issue! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Jeppie

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! 

I read your post on how you are trying to connect your HP Deskjet 2540 to your Mac using a wireless connection. I am happy to help! 

Please take a look at this video, Installing an HP Printer in Mac OS X v10.11 El Capitan Using a Network Connection, and let me know what happens! 

If this helps, please consider clicking on 'accept as solution.' And, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Hope this resolves your issue! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, I think I got it working for now!

Setup done as usual through USB, then finding the router-connected printer through wifi connection. I've selected this as the printer of preference, and now I'm printing wireless from both laptop and other devices.

I know where to go to when I encounter further difficulties! 

HP Recommended

Jeppie, this sounds like the same problem I am having but my wife and I have had wireless connectivity through both iMac and PC. I have IOX 10.11 and she has Windows 10. Now all of a sudden we have lost that connectivity. The Internet is on.  Our WiFi is on. But something has gone South, and I don't think it is result of "operator error" because we have done nothing differently.

Was the link to the video that your responder mentioned helpful?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.