Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Ive been told my Deskjet 4580 can't print on to glossy paper is that true?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pauld22

Thank you for the update,

If you've already done the below steps and yet the issue persists,

Set the paper type you are using, such as HP photo paper, glossy, or matte finish, so the printer properly handles and prints on the paper.

Type, Paper Type, or Media menu on the Paper/Quality or Features tab.

You may contact HP Phone support for further assistance as you're right, 
This could be a hardware failure as ​​​​​​​the printer supports and should print on glossy/photo paper.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @pauld22, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you are unable to print on glossy paper from your printer.

Try few steps recommended below.

Open the print window and document properties to set up the print job.
Before printing, edit the photo to improve colors, brightness, contrast and any other appearance settings.
Right-click the photo you want to print, select Open with, then select Windows Photo Viewer or Paint.
For Windows 10, open the photo with Paint to use these steps. Windows Photo Viewer does not come with Windows 10 and was replaced by the Photos app.
Click Print, or click File or the menu icon  (Paint), then click Print.
The Print or Print Pictures window opens with general print job settings.
Open the printer Document Properties window to access more layout, quality, color, and advanced print settings.
In the Print Pictures window in Windows Photo Viewer, click Options... in the lower right corner of the screen, then click Printer Properties... in the Print Settings window.
In the Print window in Paint, click Preferences.
Use this guide to find and use print job settings for photos in the Document Properties window. Menu names and available print settings vary by printer.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot printing photos on windows.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot printing photos on MAC.

Please let me know the outcome.

Cheers! Happy thanksgiving! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for your help. it's more of a mechanical problem - the thicker gloss paper isn't being taken fully into the printer. my support helpline told me this printer isn't designed to print on glossy paper which i've since found to be untrue. does it need a replacement roller or something?

HP Recommended

@pauld22

Thank you for the update,

If you've already done the below steps and yet the issue persists,

Set the paper type you are using, such as HP photo paper, glossy, or matte finish, so the printer properly handles and prints on the paper.

Type, Paper Type, or Media menu on the Paper/Quality or Features tab.

You may contact HP Phone support for further assistance as you're right, 
This could be a hardware failure as ​​​​​​​the printer supports and should print on glossy/photo paper.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.