Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi HP doesn't seem to carry drivers for the Deskjet 882c on their website anymore. Anyone know where I can download it for WIndows 7?

I just re-imaged a PC that uses one. The last image was Windows 7 and the printer was working. Drivers have to be out there somewhere. Unfortunately I didn't keep a copy of the installer.

I've read that Windows should have built-in drivers for it, but when I try to update the driver and select the driver from a list, HP 882c is not there.  I see HP Deskjet 450 and 460, as well as 5100, 5550, 5600, 6940, 6980, and 9800.

I've googled the driver and found lots of websites that claim to have it, but either they are for XP 32-bit (which W7 won't install, and returns an error saying it's not for this version of Windows) or it's an installer for their driver scanner thing that wants to scan my system and update all my drivers, which I don't want to install.

The user obviously doesn't want to buy a new printer, since this was working and should be working now. Of course they don't have the driver disc.

Any help would be appreciated. It really shouldn't be this hard to find a driver for an old printer.

Does HP have a pack of legacy drivers, maybe something with all the drivers for their old Deskjets?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The driver you need seems to be there in the file.

HP DeskJet 882C"     HPVDJ882.GPD.ICM,HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJ70CE,HP_DeskJet_882C ; Hardware ID

Try this...save the file from Microsoft.  I did this with the second file but no doubt the first one is the same, just 64 bit.

Download and install the 7-Zip free file utility.  1st or 2nd file at the top of the page as applicable.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the printer driver file.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name.

Use the add printer wizard, and when you get to the Have Disk prompt to install the driver, browse to the driver file you unzipped, prnhp001 and select the HP DeskJet 882C printer from the list, and see if the driver installs that way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to get the driver from the Microsoft Update Catalog below.

I'm thinking the 1st file listed is for 64 bit and the 2nd one listed is for 32 bit.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=deskjet%20882c%20

HP Recommended

Well thanks to pointing me to those. It's good to know the files are there in Windows Update.

I downloaded the .cab files but can't do anything with them. I've tried installing them with DISM and pkgmgr and it doesn't seem to have done anything. I still can't find the driver for the printer by choosing it from a list. I've tried running troubleshooter on the printer in Devices and Printers, and it suggests installing a driver to fix the problem, but it will run and run and run and eventually fails because it can't find a driver for it. It is set to check for drivers online.

I'm running Windows Update through the Control Panel right now. It's taking forever. When it finally comes back with a list, I'm hoping I can just choose the update with the printer driver in there.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The driver you need seems to be there in the file.

HP DeskJet 882C"     HPVDJ882.GPD.ICM,HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJ70CE,HP_DeskJet_882C ; Hardware ID

Try this...save the file from Microsoft.  I did this with the second file but no doubt the first one is the same, just 64 bit.

Download and install the 7-Zip free file utility.  1st or 2nd file at the top of the page as applicable.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the printer driver file.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name.

Use the add printer wizard, and when you get to the Have Disk prompt to install the driver, browse to the driver file you unzipped, prnhp001 and select the HP DeskJet 882C printer from the list, and see if the driver installs that way.

HP Recommended

Thanks! That worked.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.