Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot print since i have upgraded to windows 10

i have an HP Officejet 6500

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

There are many like us in the same boat.  I am surprised HP has not developed a PR campaign to at least give us hope they are working on Windows 10 drivers/installs.

My 8610 has less capability under windows 10 (and I was lucky to get it working at all!) than it did under Windows 8.1.

Here is how you can get your printer to work wirelessly....

In Windows 10, go to 

START SETTINGS DEVICES PRINTERS & SCANNERS

Click ADD A PRINTER OR SCANNER

Click THE PRINTER I WANT ISNT LISTED

Click ADD PRINTER USING TCP/IP ADDRESS

Enter IP of your wireless network printer.

Should work fine.  It is the HP install that is dicked up.

For the scanner part, you cannot use the SCAN TO COMPUTER FUNCTION of HP.  That is also dicked up under windows 10.

To use the scanner, click in the search box next to start the word SCAN

Run the Windows Scanner which should work.  It "Pulls" scans instead of the printer "pushing".

I hope this helps.  Let me know if it does.

HP Recommended

i have a problem in that the HP Officejet 6500 is not wireless but connected by a usb cable. Does your solution work with that or do you have another for me

HP Recommended

Thanks for putting this up - it helped

I am able to print through my network with no problems. However, do you perhaps know why I can scan with this printer only when hard wired to the PC. I have tried all the solutions available. I can scan and print hardwired, I can only print when the printer is connected to the router, or running wireless.

I set it up a few times, hardwired to the PC, and the print and scan functions work. As soon as I disconnect it from the PC and put it back on the network it will not scan.

This printer has worked for years in the network as a scanner and printer without a PC connection, and after my upgrade to 10 the scan functions disappear.

Funny thing it, a print/scan laserjet 3200 which never scanned to a PC under all the other operating systems now scans to a PC (:-/) - go figure!

So any solutions to scanning via the network or wireless?

HP Recommended

One of the things I recently learned was that some drivers/files from a previous installation would cause issues.

Try this and see if it helps.

1.  Uninstall ALL HP software and drivers.  (EVERYTHING!)

2.  Make sure printer is not connected

3.  Reboot

4.  Run a registry cleaner (CCLeaner works great)

5.  Fix all registry errors.

6.  Reboot

7.  Install printer/drivers in the configuration you want.

Amazingly enough, this worked on my end.

HP Recommended

Ok, had the same problem with our Officejet 6500A.  Windows 10 said everything was fine but it would not print, it wouldn't even spool.  Whatever print event was sent just vanished.

I blew away the drivers, installed HP's driver.  Same problem.  I blew away the drivers and let windows apply drivers.  Same problem.  Finally, I went looking for the driver options manually.

1. Click the start button and start typing: Devices and Printers
    1. If that doesn't work. 
      1. Right Click Star Button > Control Panel
      2. Change View to Small Icons
      3. Click Devices and Printers
  2. Find your printer in the list
  3. Right Click on the printer > Printer Properties
  4. Click the Advanced Tab
  5. There is a label called driver with a drop down list.
  6. Press New Driver.  This should open a list of manufaturers on left with drivers on the right
  7. Choose HP on the left
  8. Grab the scroll bar on the right move it about 3/4 down.  You may have to scrub the list a bit to find the Officejet block.
  9. There were 8 drivers for the 6500.  A number of the drivers had long version numbers.  I didn't choose any of the long versioned drivers.
  10. I selected the first Officejet 6500 E709a Serices Class Driver in the list.  There were two.

After selecting that driver the printer works again.  I'm not sure why there appears to be duplicate drivers as I had removed that one in the past.  

If you do not have that driver I believe it is found here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-6500-All-in-One-Printer-series---E7/379...

Even if you install the driver your printer may not work and you will have to manually select the driver using the steps above.

HP Recommended
So my question for HP... why does this have to be so difficult? You guys cant come up with an install/reinstall script?
HP Recommended

OMG! It worked -- a million thanks, Chuck -- yu da man!

HP Recommended

The link provided by  at http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-6500-All-in-One-Printer-series---E7/379..., does correctly install a driver for the HP 6500.  Using the windows 10 add printer process, did also download a  driver, but indicated only that the printer "needs attention".  No explanation, and no errors in the device manager.  All requests to print remained in the printer queue.  Needless to say, Windows 10 and HP have not come to terms to create a seemless operation...

Thanks to you for your research and post!

HP Recommended

My wireless all-in-one HP 6500 will print BUT, after the last Win10 update, will not scan (or copy)!  It keeps saying there is no scanner.  I tried to use the Fax and Scan program in Win10, but it is the same thing... it says there is no scanner.  I really don't want to buy a new printer, if I don't have to (this one's not that old!).  Is there a way to scan on this thing?  My old computer still has the "Scan and Fax" from Windows 7 and that works fine, even thought the OS has been upgraded to Win10.  Is there a way to get that downloaded onto my new computer?  For that matter, the new computer was upgraded from Win7 as well, but I can't find the Scan and Fax program (I had a shortcut on the desktop of the old one).  HELP????

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.