Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a brand new Envy 7645 printer from Costco. It works fine except for not printing in color. Any test/alignment printouts show the color ok so it's not low on ink (it's new) and the print cartridges are ok and HP as the test sheets are ok. It just won't print "norma" stuff like notes or web pages in color. Using Windows 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rbissonn

Thanks for the reply.

Click here to update the printer drivers for windows 10 OS.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@rbissonn

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP ENVY 7645. I understand that it is not printing in color, and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Check the estimated ink levels.
  • Clean the ink cartridges.
  • Check the print settings.
  • Identify, and then replace the problem ink cartridge.
  • Service the printer.

Click here to refer the document and perform these steps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. These are the items I've checked so far.  I've checked the cartridges and ink levels. I've run thru the printer reports on the Envy. It confirms that the ink is HP, the levels are ok and all test and alignment sheets come out ok and show all of the colors ok. So the cartridges are in ok and run ok, which should be the case as this is a new printer from Costco. Getting it serviced would be a last resort as it seems that the printer print color is ok in all test sheets; it just doesn't print color from pages sent from the PC, ie notes, webpages, etc. So I believe it's drivers or a setting someplace. I decided to try sending a picture from my phone to the printer.  Worked perfectly. It prints it out in color just fine. So that means it has to be a setting or driver between the PC and printer as that is the only thing that doesn't print in color with the printer working well in all other cases.  I'm using Windows 10. Any ideas on where to get updated drivers or what settings to check?

HP Recommended

@rbissonn

Thanks for the reply.

Click here to update the printer drivers for windows 10 OS.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I did try the drivers. I think they installed as I didn't get any errors but I also didn't get

a "finished". That didn't seem to work.  I'm not sure why. As seen from the previous posts, I'm sure the printer is working fine and it does print in color fropm the phone, so I still believe it has to be the drivers. The printer works fine except for that one issue; it won't print anything from the PC in color.  I'll just have to try and see if the drivers get updated as time goes on and try again then. Thanks for the notes.

HP Recommended

@rbissonn

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

I request you to contact HP phone support for assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the resolution you posted on the driver. We thought we were good when we installed with the HP Mobile App per the instructions on the HP ENVY 7645 printer we bought new at Costco last week. But the first time we tried to print in color it was a no go! Your resolution worked perfectly and it was the first hit I got when I typed in the message, "Why is my HP ENVY 7645 not printing in color?"

HP Recommended

Did you make sure to unplug your USB cord that goes to the computer if you selected Wireless connection? You can plug it back in once you have finished AND restarted your PC. I would try to reinstall the driver as it should work with no issue and I am positive that is the problem if you are running Windows 10 on your PC. I hate that Windows 10 isn't as intuitive as other OS; such as it doesn't let me download photos directly from my iPhone to my PC any longer. I have to try the workaround I found in a discussion forum. WIN 10 is not making me happy. Everything is a major production to figure out.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

It's been a while since I've been to the forum so I just wanted to make sure I updated.   All debug actions pointed to a driver issue.   A few attempts at updating the drivers didn't help.  I don't know if the process wasn't completing or the drivers just didn't work.  Anyways, a couple of weeks later there was a windows update and somewhere along the line there was a notification of a driver update.  That driver  install worked and the printer has been working fine ever since then.

Nice printer when all functions work as intended. Thanks to all who posted.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem not printing color so thanks for tht advice on the ports i changed the ports and now i can print in color yay!!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.