Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

everytime i put in a new cartridge it wants to re-align itself.  I want to have the choice of aligning or not, rather than having it automatically align and wasting expensive ink.  How can I accomplish this?

thanks

103 REPLIES 103
HP Recommended
The alignment process ensures that you get the best print quality out of your cartridges. If you want to sacrifice that for saving a few drops of ink, then let us know which printer you're using and we'll see if it can be done.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

I would also like to disable this function - It's a case of the cure being worse than the disease - I've owned a half a dozen HP printers and never had an alignment problem.  Very irritating to have to do this everytime.  A true user friendly version of these functions would be to give the user control of these functions to use only when needed. 

My model is a J4550 and I would very much like to know whether this function can be turned off or bypassed.

HP Recommended

I just signed solely to add myself to the list of people highly annoyed by this "alignment" feature.  If you truly are an adaptive company you will modify future software to allow users to disable this!

HP Recommended

The alignment process aligns the cartridges, which you may not care about.  It also sets the proper operating power and calibrates the thermal system, both of which are necessary.  The alignment process uses a relatively minuscule amount of ink and is a necessary part of installing a new cartridge.  Disabling this would be a bad idea. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob - all things being equal I still want to turn that off or put it into manual choice mode.  How does one do that?

cheers

HP Recommended

@pjpowers wrote:

Thanks Bob - all things being equal I still want to turn that off or put it into manual choice mode.  How does one do that?

Not an option for the reasons mentioned above.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I realize this thread is a couple of years old.. however I would like to recvisit this with an adjustment.

Since we are not allowed to turn the annoying but essential alignment feature. Is there any way that we can utilize it so that it does not WASTE paper?  I've saved my previous alignment sheet and it will not allow me to reuse the previous one.  Everytime I install new cartridges, it wants to print a new alignment sheet and waste my ink.

FYI: What I have been doing is just ignoring it.. and using the printer.  Guess what.  My print outs appear perfect, without going through the costly/wasteful alignment process..

Cheers,

R

HP Recommended

I am echoing the frustration with this stupid requirement.  I too have ignored it and not noticed anything wrong with printing.  The frustrating thing is that I use the scanner and cannot bypass the alignment for scanning.

Absolutely ridiculous and frustrating.  I'll research this feature in the future before bying any HP printer. 

HP Recommended

You can bypass the alignment process by following below steps/

Press and hold the Settings button, and then press OK” while All-in-one shows Align cartridges message.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.