Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP laserjet M604
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

In early October 2015, my Windows 2008 R2 printer server "print spooler" was brought down by a bad driver. It actually brought down eight Windows 2008 print servers within a day and a half. I googled the error and it pointed to an issue with the HP Laserjet M604 PCL6 driver.  We removed the driver package and reinstalled it the most current version (x64 and X86 8.01.1308..2073) and the print server stayed up. Unfortunately for us, before we fixed the print servers, the print server pushed out these bad drivers to our computers. This brought down the end users print spooler so they couldnt print to any printer. This affected over 100  people before we could get the printer servers stabilized.  

On February 24, it happened again for one server only. I checked the Windows 2008 R2 server and the print spooler was down. Two printers were affected (HP laserjet M604 and Color laserjet M553) . The event log had the following error.  

Faulting application name: spool.exe, version 6.1.7601.1777

Faulting module name: hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll, version 13.2.0.0

It was not really as easy to clean up the second time on the print server.  I ran the "pnputil" and it identified what drivers were affected. The print spooler would not stay up long enough for me to remove the "driver package " from the print server properties. I finally had to hack the registry and clear our all printers and drivers assciated with the hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll  file. I also cleared out all files associated with 2917 package in the

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3 folder. I did nthe same with the associated printer folder as well. The print server "print spooler" stayed up for a day. I then installed the newest drivers PCL6 for Windows 7  from the HP site and the print spooler on the print server went down again. I removed it again and installed  the UDP driver and then the print server stayed up. The issue is the UDP limits what can be printed.

My school district is one of the largest in Texas and  we have a lot of M604 printers, more are being bought everyday.

I checked for Windows updates on the printer server and lcoal workstations associated with the problem  and no windows updates had ran in 3 weeks so that was ruled out. Why would this driver keep doing this? We get caught in a viscous loop with the printer server and the local workstations "print spoolers" going down.

Can the HP print and scan doctor be ran on a Windows 2008 R2 print server to correct this issue? And is this tool the best way to clean up the corrupt driver on the workstations? Currently the technicians are going into the Print server properties on the local workstations and removing the driver package which  is quite tricky since you have to time it just right.

Any guidance you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

We had a similar issue today Nov 23 2016- All Win 8 computers spoolers started failing after we distributed an HP M604 with its specific M604 driver. The M604 driver does not contain hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll identified in the crash log, another printer on the systems does however - the HP M553. We resolved by redistributing both he M604 and M553 printers with UPD drivers (v 6.1). Also had to cleanup fallout in the form of orphaned 'grayed out' print objects - old object names that were no longer in the GPO had to be deleted in Device Manager/printers with SHOW HIDDEN ITEMS switched on.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.