Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
laserjet pro p1102w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have installed the full software solution from HP website, but the wireless configuration utility seems to be missing.  I have had it installed on windows 8.1, but cannot find it for windows 10. Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
In case anyone is interested, I figured out where the wireless configuration utility has gone. I gave up with the 1102w, and got an 1109w, which is virtually the same printer. Installing that also installed the wireless configuration utility. Perhaps support for the 1102w was dropped, since it is a discontinued model? I have 3 other 1102w that I use on a regular basis, will try the utility on one of them next time I have the chance, since it is now installed on my laptop.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey @Robb79,

Thanks for the post, I see you are looking to setup your printer through wireless on a computer running on Windows 10. I will be happy to help. 

Since this printer does not have a display. You will need to convert the USB setup to wireless setup for the printer to respond over a wireless network. 

Please follow the steps mentioned in this article for assistance. 

Full-feature driver for your printer is available on our website. Recommend you to download and use the latest setup file meant for your printer. 

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
That article makes no sense, I don't see anything like that with my computer.. I have downloaded the full feature software from the website. I run it and select wireless install. I then have to watch a video about unpacking and connecting the printer. At the end, I select install printer software. I then select connect a new printer, instead of repair/update or additional software. Then I select the printer model. Then I select configure wireless. Then nothing happens. The window goes away, and nothing else pops up. What happened to the old wireless configuration utility? With the full featured software from the website, the only things installed on my computer are: ePrint setup (which is not what I want), user guide, and shop HP supplies.
HP Recommended

I agree with you Robb79. I have run into the same issue. I miss the easy-to-use wireless configuration utility that HP used to have.

I run into the same issue of having the installation go away and not continue past that window going away.

HP Recommended
Why do HP support agents keep recommending outdated methods? HP changed the software, and it is torture to work with! And no one at HP seems to realize that the software is different, and impossible to use. It used to be so easy to do this.
HP Recommended
I also have to extract the entire "full feature software solution" and re-run the entire installation process to make any changes.. And that's if it even works. What sense does that make?
HP Recommended
In case anyone is interested, I figured out where the wireless configuration utility has gone. I gave up with the 1102w, and got an 1109w, which is virtually the same printer. Installing that also installed the wireless configuration utility. Perhaps support for the 1102w was dropped, since it is a discontinued model? I have 3 other 1102w that I use on a regular basis, will try the utility on one of them next time I have the chance, since it is now installed on my laptop.
HP Recommended

My solution was to transition the P1102w printer to a USB printer attached to a 3.0 USB port on a Netgear R6700 router. Having the router serving as a print server solved the need for a wireless connection. This solution needs a USB port virtualization program (Netgear USB Control Center) running on each computer that wants to print to the P1102w and I am not sure that the ePrint will work in this configuration (since the printer is not connected directly to the Internet).

HP Recommended

The WiFi config executable in the HP Full Feature software download for Windows 8.1 does not work.  I downloaded and installed the Windows 7 version onto a Windows 7 PC.  I then navigated the file directory ( C: > Programs > HP) and copied the folder named HP onto a memory stick.  I can now launch the WiFi config executable (HP > HP Laserjet P1100 Series > wificonfig.exe) from the stick with the printer connected via the USB cable and successfully run it on my Wdws 8.1 PC....and follow the steps in the HP User Guide.  

NOTE: The wificonfig.exe file is the same in both the Wdws 7 and  8.1 versions but it needs something in the Wdws 7 HP folder to run.  Copying the wificonfig.exe file alone will not work.

HP Recommended
Apparently it does not work in windows 10 either, it doesn't even install. Not for the 1102w anyway. It installed when adding the 1109w, and I can use it for my other 1102 printers. Good thinking just copying the HP folder, wouldn't think that would've worked. Do you just run it from the USB stick?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.