Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4635
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have lost my printer assistant app and icon when I upgraded to a new driver.  I have followed other threads and removed the software and reinstalled per instructions and, no good.  I have tried using the disk provided and go good.  The printer is connected wirelesslyand was working before the upgrade.It prints fine and scans fine from thre printer.  Please help me get printer assistantg back.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally fixed it myself.  I uninstalled all HP software again.  Then, I went into REGEDIT and removed every reference to HP.  Next, I ran a registry fix program (SYSTEM MECH. 15).  Turned the printer off, turned the computer off.  Restarted the computer and disabled my Virus checker (VIPRE).  Installed the latest full software from HP, turned Printer ON, ranConnect New Printer (wireless).  Last, I went to the DEVICES and PRINTERS screen and installed NETWORK PRINTER.  The system requested that I enter the installation disk, so I did and ran setup.  When it finished, I had a new selection in the minimal software that had been installed called PRINTER ASSISTANT.  I selected that, and SHAZAMM!  I have my printer Assistant back.  WOW!

Thank you RnRMusicMan for your reply, which came after I had done the above steps.  I am glad I didn't have to Clean Boot, and establish a new User Account.  Cleaning the registry by hand was a chore, but I think that is what got me back in the game.  Thanks again.

Hope this helps some of the others with this problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Dave223

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! 

I understand that you lost your HP printer assistant for your HP Officejet 4635 printer. I am happy to help! 

Please try the following steps in this order: 

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Hope these steps will help! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I finally fixed it myself.  I uninstalled all HP software again.  Then, I went into REGEDIT and removed every reference to HP.  Next, I ran a registry fix program (SYSTEM MECH. 15).  Turned the printer off, turned the computer off.  Restarted the computer and disabled my Virus checker (VIPRE).  Installed the latest full software from HP, turned Printer ON, ranConnect New Printer (wireless).  Last, I went to the DEVICES and PRINTERS screen and installed NETWORK PRINTER.  The system requested that I enter the installation disk, so I did and ran setup.  When it finished, I had a new selection in the minimal software that had been installed called PRINTER ASSISTANT.  I selected that, and SHAZAMM!  I have my printer Assistant back.  WOW!

Thank you RnRMusicMan for your reply, which came after I had done the above steps.  I am glad I didn't have to Clean Boot, and establish a new User Account.  Cleaning the registry by hand was a chore, but I think that is what got me back in the game.  Thanks again.

Hope this helps some of the others with this problem.

HP Recommended

I don't know if your steps were a fix, because as I said in my latest post, they came after I fixed the problem.  But I think you were on ther right track and may have solved the problem too.  Thanks again for your reply.

HP Recommended

This isn't working for me.  I am running Win 10 64bit and have followed the uninstall - clean boot process twice with the same result - No printer Assistant.  A year or so ago a tech gave me a link to a patch that fixed it but I lost the patch in a hard drive failure.  It was called SCLITE... or something like that.  It had to be run every time I rebooted the computer but completely fixed theproblem.  Does anyone know where I can get a copy of that patch?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.