Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4500 - G510a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a router replacement I believed I needed to re-install / reconfigure the printer, which was connected via WiFi on my network.  I uninstalled all the HP software and began re-installation on my Windows 10 (recently upgraded from Win 7 / 64).  Have since found out that the reason it wouldn't connect to my router was because the old SSID used by the printer was now being used as the 5Ghz SSID for my router and printer doesn't support that. 

I've attempted re-installation / configuration of the printer drivers and software and it consistently fails in process.  Need recommendations for how to re-install on this system.  Uninstallation of the partially failed install also fails, though I don't see any elements remaining in Control Panel | Programs and Features.  Need to be able to use the HP Solution Center to scan documents. 

Re-installation fails at the point where the software wants to look for the printer attached locally via USB -- it installs and shows up in Devices and PRinters but the install / configure software doesn't recognize it.  I can certainly install it as a Raw Printer and use it via IP for printing, but need to know how to get it set up properly to scan.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the forum.

Can you try this solution?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-Solution-Center-Fails-to-launch-cannot-open-SOLUTION...

Please find the following relevant video that shows you how to "Uninstall Windows 10 updates" and also to "Hide updates" to prevent Windows from installing the update in future!

Windows 10 - How to Uninstall & Hide updates

https://goo.gl/3tWxyA

Hope that helps.

Please click the “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem and “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Hi,

Microsoft has since released a new update to fix this issue.

Solution Fix: 

Please download and install the following update KB3133431 from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3133431

Note This update is available through Windows Update only. (Automatic updates need to be turned on)

1. Click on the Start Button, select "Settings" and then select "Update & security"
  2. Under "Windows Update", select "Advanced options" 
  3. Under "Choose how updates are installed", select "Automatic (recommended) from the drop down menu.

Hope that helps.

Please click the “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem and “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement

HP Recommended

It doesn't appear that either of the recommendations of GreenTurtle were appropriate here. 

I checked and the first KB fix had been applied, but not the second.  Applying the second fix did nothing to impact my system. 

Having read a number of other forum posts on similar topics, I downloaded the Print Scan Debug tool HPPSDR and ran it.  It appears I had downloaded and installed the wrong driver / setup for my printer.  I have a 4500 G510n-z, and what I'd downloaded was the G510a-f setup.  I did have to tell it to scan a couple times to find the printer (which was already on the network and visible by hitting its http page) .   I was able to get the computer to talk to the printer wirelessly this morning. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Bruce518

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad to see that you found out the issue and downloaded the correct driver and everything works out.

Hence, it's good to provide full information (exact printer model, OS, connectivity, router distance from PC and printer etc) to get the best "prescribed" solution.  Most Experts here are just volunteers (me too!), but they all have a good intention to help others resolve their problem.

This Microsoft update is a nasty one, > 27K views over 6 days!

Thanks!

HP Recommended
As an IT professional, I should have been more precise. Mea culpa.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.