Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 plus
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I was having trouble printing PDFs - they would print with black boxes in portions of them that didn't appear on screen.  I confirmed I had the latest version of Adobe Reader.  So I tried to update my printer drivers.  The HP site suggested I install a new driver package.  It kept failing to install.  The error was:

2081883401: Failed to uninstall device with serial number XXXXXXXX (serial number removed)

I tried manually uninstalling the printer first, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Now the printer isn't even shown and I can't install it.

How do I get my printer back and working???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @OHRassi,

It is awesome news to hear that were able to figure out what was causing the black boxes. I will keep that in mind in case I come across this issue again in the future.

If you woul like to help others that might be having the same issue find your solutuion easier, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @OHRassi,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your printing issue.

I understand that you are using an HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer with a Windows 7 PC but when you tried re-installing the printer software to fix a printing black box issue the software installation fails and the error mentions that it could not uninstall the software. I would like to help with that.

There is a tool called Microsoft Fix It that may help get the old software uninstall. You can download the Microsoft Fix It by clicking here.

Once the software appears to be uninstalled, try using the HP Printer Install Wizard for the software installation. This tool will find the most recent version of the printer software and help with the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I tried your link to the Fix-It but Microsoft says it's no longer supported.  Can you provide a direct link, or is that option not available anymore?

HP Recommended

Hi @OHRassi,

Thanks for letting me know.

You can download this tool right from the Microsoft website by clicking here.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it goes.

If this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ok, I was able to follow that link to find the program you recommended. I ran it and it said it was successful, but I still can't remove the printer drivers.  When I try to remove them, I get the following:

The following package(s) can not be deleted:

hpvpl06.inf (x64)
This package contains the following driver(s) that are in use:
HP Officejet Pro 8600; This driver is used on:
   HP Officejet Pro 8600

The following driver(s) can not be deleted:

Driver HP Officejet Pro 8600 (x64) is in use. It is used on:
    HP Officejet Pro 8600

How do I stop that printer driver and still be able to access the area of devices and printers that allows me to remove the printer drivers?  I've tried to stop the print spooler (as I had read elsewhere) and then I can't get the section of devices and printers to open that lets me uninstall drivers.

HP Recommended

Hi @OHRassi,

I am not sure why you would not be able to open the Devices and Printers folder on your PC.

This is the normal procedure for uninstalling the printer software - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

That error message says that the printer software was in use. Open the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and see if you can see and stop it by clicking 'End Task'.

If you are able to stop it try running the Microsoft tool again.

If that doesn't work try restarting the computer.

Please keep me posted with any developments.

If this helps please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ok, still no luck.

I went into Task Manager and there were no programs runing that appeared to be the printer.  I checked services and the only one that even mentioned printing was the print spooler, but when I stopped that service, when I try to open Devices and Printers, no printers are shown, so I can't get into the Print Server properties to try and uninstall the print drivers.

I followed the instructions in "Uninstalling the Printer Software" and uninstalled anything related to HP or printing.

I have rebooted and that didn't do anything.

I have restarted in safe mode, but the printers don't show up then, so I can't try and uninstall the print drivers.

This is extremely frustrating. 

HP Recommended

Hi @OHRassi,

If you followed the steps to uninstall fromthat document there should not be any Officejet Pro 8600s in the Devices and Printers folder.

Try using the HP Printer Install Wizard to install the printer's software. This tool will find the most recent version of the printer's software and help with the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ok, I was able to finally get the printer reinstalled, and I can print on it again.  However, I'm back to the original problem.

When I try and print out some PDFs, while they display fine on-screen, when they print out, portions of them have black boxes blocking out some of the content.   As an example, an insurance document I downloaded from my insurer.

I have used the Check for Updates feature of Adobe Reader DC and it ensures me that I have the latest version.

How do I get rid of the black boxes?  They don't display on-screen for the exact same documents.

HP Recommended

Hi @OHRassi,

You said that when you try to printer "some documents" it looks good on the printer but has parts blocked by black boxes. 

Try downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor to check on the printer software.

If the HP Print and Scan Doctor finds no problems with the printer or the installed software the issue is somewhere outside of the printer or the printer's software.

I would make sure that all Windows Updates are up to date.

If some PDFs print correctly and other ones do not, I might consider uninstalling the Adobe Reader software, and the reinstalling it.

If this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.