Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I run the Print & Scan Doctor, it shows a printer that I no longer have.  The printer was uninstalled 2 years ago, and there is no remaining software that I'm aware of.  It has an IP address, but I can not find this anywhere in Control Panel to remove the listing in Print & Scan Doctor.  How can this old printer and IP address be removed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FYI - as Print and Scan Doctor is not software listed in Control Panel, it can not be uninstalled.  Because of that I did a bit more searching and found the answer.  The culprit is ProgramData/HP/Temp/NetworkDevices/[Personal Information Removed]

This is a configuration setting (text) file that shows the no longer existent printer.  

In my opinion this points out 2 flaws.  First, when the HP 8500 printer was uninstalled, this file should have been removed as well.  As a text file it certainly does no direct harm, except when it comes to Print and Scan Doctor.  This leads to the 2nd issue - HP Print and Scan Doctor is incorrectly looking for this configuration file, rather than an actual device driver, so it reports the HP 8500 printer as existing when it does not exist.  It would seem to me that Print and Scan Doctor should know the difference between a configuration (text) file and a device driver.  Clearly if all that I have is a text file, then there is no such printer.

I've deleted the file and then the printer immediately goes away in Print and Scan Doctor.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Frank0252,

Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support Forums! 

I see that you no longer have the HP Officejet 8500 Printer installed, however, it still shows up on your computer. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

It sounds like the printer is still listed in Print Server Properties or is listed in Devices and Printers, etc.

I'm assuming by Control Panel you meant, Devices and Printers, correct? 

Please use these steps as a guideline to check to see if the printer is listed in Print Server Properties and the Spool directory.

For Windows® 10
Turn off the printer (in your case ignore this).
Click [Start Menu] - [All Apps] - [Windows System] - [Control Panel] - [Hardware and Sound] - [Devices and Printers].
Choose "HP XX-XXXX", right-click on the icon and then click [Remove device].
If a User Account Control message appears, type in the password, and then click [Yes].
Choose [Fax] or [Microsoft XPS Document Writer] in the [Devices and Printers] window, and then click [Print server properties], which appeared in the menu bar.
Click the [Drivers] tab, and then click [Change Driver Settings].
If a User Account Control message appears, type in the password, and then click [Yes].
Choose "HP XX-XXXX", and then click [Remove...].
Choose [Remove driver and driver package], and then click [OK].
Follow the on-screen instructions.
Close the [Print Server Properties] window. The printer driver has been uninstalled.

In addition, if the printer is still listed, try this: 
Check the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32 x 86" folder. ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\64" folder in the 64 system), and if there is a folder of the corresponding model, remove it. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have tried what you indicated without success.  There is no listing for the old printer in the Drivers tab, nor is there any folder in the area you indicated that refers to the old printer.  I checked files in every folder in this section, given some of the folder names don't even have a printer name shown, but there was nothing there.  This old printer only appears in the HP Print and Scan program and I don't see it anywhere else.

HP Recommended

Hi @Frank0252,

Thanks for the reply.

You could uninstall the PSDR, clear the temp folder and reboot the computer.
Download and install a fresh copy of the PSDR.

Otherwise, I would just ignore that the old printer shows up in the PSDR. If the printer is nowhere to be found on the computer where I asked you to check, there should not be any driver conflicts.

I hope this helps. Please respond if you have any concerns. I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

FYI - as Print and Scan Doctor is not software listed in Control Panel, it can not be uninstalled.  Because of that I did a bit more searching and found the answer.  The culprit is ProgramData/HP/Temp/NetworkDevices/[Personal Information Removed]

This is a configuration setting (text) file that shows the no longer existent printer.  

In my opinion this points out 2 flaws.  First, when the HP 8500 printer was uninstalled, this file should have been removed as well.  As a text file it certainly does no direct harm, except when it comes to Print and Scan Doctor.  This leads to the 2nd issue - HP Print and Scan Doctor is incorrectly looking for this configuration file, rather than an actual device driver, so it reports the HP 8500 printer as existing when it does not exist.  It would seem to me that Print and Scan Doctor should know the difference between a configuration (text) file and a device driver.  Clearly if all that I have is a text file, then there is no such printer.

I've deleted the file and then the printer immediately goes away in Print and Scan Doctor.

HP Recommended

I changed printers. The old printer is still showing up in the "HP Print & Scan Doctor" I figured out how to remove it on my laptop (with Windows 10) but can't find the answer on my desktop(with Windowes 8.1)

HP Recommended

that works on my laptop with Winows 10. Can't find the right combination to delte this printer on the Print and Scan Doctor on my deskto with Windows 8.1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.