Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-281
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My (2) printers are functioning without error.  But, for the past few weeks, when I try to print a page while I'm on the internet (using Internet Explorer), the Print Window does not open.  However, if I restart my computer and return to the same internet address and repeat my print command, the Print Window opens and the print command is successful.  I have tried solutions regarding the internet temporary files with some sporatic success.  Any suggestions to correct this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DJL15, I am the Jeet_singh. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I understand you are having difficulty uninstalling IE11, don't worry as I have a few steps which should help you with this,

Uninstall IE11 under add/remove programs

1.Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then select View installed updates.

2.Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3.Right-click Internet Explorer 11, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4.Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 11 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer)

Restart later

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@DJL15

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion 500-281 Desktop PC and when you try to print from the Internet explorer, the print window does not open. You have to restart the PC and then the print window appears from internet explorer. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know if any changes took place to the Internet Explorer recently or have you tried resetting the Internet Explorer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Open the web page in Internet Explorer that you would like to print.
  • If the print window does not appear then press the Ctrl+P keys on the keyboard and this should open the print window.
  • Try using another web browser like Google Chrome and try to print it and check if it helps. 

If this issue started recently then perform a system restore to roll back the computer to a previous date when everything worked fine. System restore will not delete your data. 

Other steps that can be tried are by running the Internet Explorer as administrator. 

• Close all Internet Explorer windows.
  • Click Start, click All Programs, right-click Internet Explorer and select Run As Administrator.
  • Browse to a website and try test printing a page while running as the Administrator.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended
Thank you, MKazi. I performed a system restore to early December when a large Windows Update was performed. Subsequent to the restore, Auto Windows Update re-updated (probably) the same update. My problem was unaffected before or after. However I have since noted a related problem with Acrobat Reader following the same problem pattern as seen with the Print Window; when a PDF file is downloaded to my computer, the file will not always be displayed, resulting in a blank Reader window. I have not reset my Windows Explorer to date. Do you recommend that I do so? To my knowledge, I have never intentionally modified IE. Thanks again for your help.
HP Recommended

@DJL15

You are welcome. 🙂 I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

Before you reset Internet Explorer, you can download and check with Google Chrome if the print window opens.

You could also uninstall the Adobe reader program and reinstall it from this link.

Hope this information helps. Please let me know. Thanks again! 🙂

HP Recommended

Kazi

I downloaded Google Chrome.  Using Chrome as my browser, I am successful in printing from the internet.  I can still print under Internet Explorer only after I restart my computer when I encounter the failure of my Print Window to open.  

A software flag somewhere in Internet Explorer?

HP Recommended

Hello@DJL15

Thanks for the super quick reply. Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.Kudos to you.

Let's try to resolve the issue by resetting the internet explorer: 

You can reset Internet Explorer settings to what they were when Internet Explorer was first installed on your PC. This can be useful for troubleshooting problems that may be caused by settings changed after installation. Note that resetting Internet Explorer isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

1. Close all Internet Explorer windows. Select the Tools(wrench Icon)button, and then select Internet options.
  2. Select the Advanced tab, and then select Reset.
  3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, select Reset.
  4. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, select Close, and then select OK. Restart your PC to apply changes.

Please let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope that the issue gets resolved without hassles.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello.

Status on my problem:  I reset Internet Explorer and the problem continues with no change.

Earlier, I had read under a Windows forum, that the problem might be traced to the deletion of a "Low" file under the IE temporary file.  I checked and found I had a functioning Low file.  A suggested next step was to attempt a command prompt run as administrator: ICACLS"%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low"/setintegritylevel(OI)(OC)low.  When I entered this command, I received a message that the c ommand had an error in file name, syntax, etc.

Lastly, in the related problem I had using Adobe Reader for a downloaded Internet file, I looked at the Reader history and found an entry: RdrCEF.exe--Application error Oxc0000022.  Is this informative in any way?

I'm about ready to give up on this.

HP Recommended

@DJL15

Thanks for replying. 🙂

Before we give up on this battle, let us try this beautiful link from Microsoft which I found during my research. I have a positive feeling that this might do the trick. 

here is the link: How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows

NOTE: This is a third party link, so please ignore any ads and take only free suggestions.

Hope this information helps. Best of luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for your last guidance.

1) I downloaded a new copy of IE 11.

2) I know how to uninstall programs through Control Panel, but I don't know howto uninstall IE 11 within Windows 7.  The Step 2 link in your referenced "reinstall" procedure leads to a general purpose Microsoft site through which I couldn't find any specific instruction to uninstall my existing IE 11.

3)If I try to "run" my downloaded new copy without a prior uninstallment, I get a message that I already have a newer version (than the downloaded one)  of IE 11 installed.   I guess I could again restore my computer to an earlier time and try to install again, but I don't have much confidence that that would be successful.

4)  Can you direct me to a specific link for uninstalling IE11?

HP Recommended

Hi @DJL15, I am the Jeet_singh. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I understand you are having difficulty uninstalling IE11, don't worry as I have a few steps which should help you with this,

Uninstall IE11 under add/remove programs

1.Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then select View installed updates.

2.Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3.Right-click Internet Explorer 11, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4.Click one of the following:

Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 11 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer)

Restart later

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.