Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a hp deskjet 1660.  I have dowloaded the driver to install it onto my Acer laptop many times but i cant seem to get past the extracting stage.  Its extracts but then no window opens afterward.  I have a Windows 7 operating system what can i do?   Can firewalls or something else be interrupting the installation of the driver???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok Antonio99  after doing some researh from what you told me about the processor issue, I found the answer and now my printer is printing.  It turns out i had to install a patch, whatever that is.  Here is the link to in instructions i followed

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

Thank you for your interest and help.

Regards from the Bahamas

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

What type of processor do you have?

Also our printers will not install on windows starter... What version of win 7 do you have?

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.

HP Recommended

its says Windows 7 Home Premium OA .How can i tell if I have a windows starter? This thing says AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50.  Does that sound like it would make sense?

HP Recommended

Yeah that does make sense and explains why your printer will not install.

Unfortunatly at this time our software is NOT COMPATIBLE with AMD C-50 1.0 Ghz., which is the preferred processor for a lot of ACER PCs.

You will not be able to install our soft ware.

But you can use the BASIC HP 990c drivers that are already on your PC.

Click start menu

-control panel

-open printers folder

-select add a printer

-install local printer

-use existing port--- hit NEXT

-select HP as Manufacurer

-select HP DeskJet 990c (if it's not there select windows update and it should )

-

You may be able to connect via USB and use the BASIC microsoft drivers, but i cant garuntee that this will work and if it does you will be limited.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.

HP Recommended

Wow i am soo upset with the computer store because they sold this printer as a bundle with this laptop i bought.  So basically i have a useless printer??  I tried what u told me but that didnt work.  Is there any other hope?? What is the reason for the software is not being compatible with AMD C-50?  Is this going to change anytime soon?

HP Recommended

Ok Antonio99  after doing some researh from what you told me about the processor issue, I found the answer and now my printer is printing.  It turns out i had to install a patch, whatever that is.  Here is the link to in instructions i followed

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

Thank you for your interest and help.

Regards from the Bahamas

HP Recommended

Its just too much hard work!  I scrapped the printer after 6 months, and bought Kodak.

HP Recommended

HP is stupid to expect us to jump through all these crapy hoops just to install their software to use their product! I see absolutely no reason for this nonsense. I am also dumping my printer and acquiring something else!

HP Recommended

I just downloaded and installed the Wisecare 365 free version and ran the system cleaner and it fixed the installer error.

You can get it at http://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-care-365.html

HP Recommended

ERROR:
HP Installer (Setup for Scanners, Printers of Hewlett Packard) fails in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. This happens regardless of your setup version or product/device. The following erros occure
1. HP Installer has stopped working
2. Please wait some more
3. A fatal error has occured, which prevents usage of the device.

SOLUTION:
Go to Control Panel / Programs and Featuers / Windows-Components and select ".NET Framework 3.5.1" or ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes 2.0 and 3.0)" [exact wording depends on your OS]. Once this feature is installed simply run your setup flawlessly.

BACKGROUND:
HP Installer checks prerequisites (such as free space and ram). If it does not find .NET framework it attempts to install this one via a .NET Framework Redistributable. Unfortunately this procedure has been deprecated by Microsoft (from now on you need to select this feature manually [or install it via console with DISM / Powershell-Cmdlets]). The installer stupidly assumes that the framework got installed and continues which causes crashes and sideeffects... (for details see %temp%\hpbcsiInstallerBootstrap.log ).

PS: Shame on you HP because this error exists since years (before 2010 until v15 in 2016!).
@HP: refunds welcome

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.