Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
officejet 6500 E709 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

After upgrate of windows 7 to 10, the 2 laptops that I use don't connect with prinder (office jet 6500 E709, usb connection - no wifi). i download the last drivers. The previus program was unistalled and the new drivers were reinstalled. However, during the installation progress a message to stop HP CUE Device Discovery Service  was appeared.  However the service there is not in servises list. The list includes hpqcxs08 and HP Support Solution Framework Service, but not the HP CUE...

i CANNOT CONNECT THE PRINTER, ANY SOLUTION PLEASE??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @iat1,

I am not sure what is causing this issue.

I have provided you with some steps for unlocking the Hidden Administrator Account and installing the printer on this account to see if that will help with this situation.

Note: Don't connect the USB cable in until prompted during the install.

• Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  • CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  • Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  • Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  • When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  • If your computer automatically logs into your account after the restart then go to your start menu and click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  • Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
  • Test the printer.
  • To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

If you are still having this issue, it may be the User Profile. Create a new User and try installing the printer on that Account.

• Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
  • Click Manage another account.
  • Click Create a new account.
  • Install the printer on that account.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Good Afternoon @iat1,

This is a great location for extra support! I see that you are having issues installing the printer on the Windows 10 upgrade. I would be glad to help you.

Please try the following steps to resolve this issue:

Click on the start menu and click on 'Run', and then type 'services.msc' and press the Enter button.
In the Services window, look for HP CUE Device Discovery Service, and double click on it.
You should see a button labeled 'STOP'. click on that button.
Above this, you should find something which says 'Startup Type'. Change that to 'Disabled'
Click on the 'Apply' button and close all windows.

Then try installing the printer again.

To say thanks, you can click on the "Thumbs Up" and if the issue is resolved you can click on the "Accept as Solution" button. Please let me know the outcome. Cheers!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Dear Gemini02, thanks for your reply. However, the problem  is that  HP CUE Device Discovery Service is not included in the services list, so I cannot aplly the remaining instructions ("You should see a button labeled 'STOP'. click on that button.
Above this, you should find something which says 'Startup Type'. Change that to 'Disabled'
Click on the 'Apply' button and close all windows".)

How can I find the HP CUE Device Discovery Service?

thanking you in advance

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me @iat1.

If it isn't listed, that is alright. I thought it might have been left over from the previous install on Windows 7.

I would suggest to uninstall the old printer software first and remove any old registry files of the printer.

Back up the registry first, before attempting any of these steps. Back up the registry.

For non-HP computers:

Press the Windows key and R, the run box will open.

Type in regedit and press OK.

Click the + signs beside the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and remove the HP/Hewlett-Packard folders.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and remove the HP/Hewlett-Packard folders.

For HP computers:

Press the Windows key and R, the run box will open.

Type in regedit and press OK.

Go to the Edit tab, then click on Find.

In the search box, type "officejet 6500 "  and click Find Next.

Only certain ones will be relating to the printer, and they will have some indication in the description. When it finds one of the entries, and you have confirmed it is related to the printer, within a reasonable doubt, you can delete it by hitting Delete on the keyboard.

Once one entry is deleted, hit F3 on the keyboard, which stands for Find Next.

Repeat the process until all "officejet 6500" printer entries are deleted.

Restart the computer.

Perform a clean boot on the computer and turn off the Antivirus Software. How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Then install the software again.

Let me know how you make out.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Dear Gemini

I performed step by step your instructions, but the same problem. Installation was stoped and the message was HP CUE Device Discovery Service. It there is not in the services list. For your information my laptop is SONY VAIO VGN 32 bit.

Many thanks for your time

HP Recommended

Hi @iat1,

I have been searching this error and came across this post that may help, by @QuaczarHP CUE Device Discovery Service.

First, make sure you make a restore point before you start. If anything goes wrong, you can restore.

Disable the hpqcxs08 in services.

1. From the Start menu, choose "run" and type regedit.

2. Under the edit menu, select "find."

3. The HP Cue DeviceDiscoveryService is labeled with an internal name. It is called hpqddsvc.

4. Type this name into the find box.

5. Regedit will locate it and highlight the listing.

6. Click on this folder and delete it.

7. Reboot your computer, and the HP Cue DeviceDiscoveryService is gone.

8. Note: You may get a "system item cannot be found" message after the reboot but close the window and on the next reboot it won't show again.

There were other hp services listed in the registry as well. They all start with "hp" such as hppcxs08. Delete each and every one of them.

Then you can try a fresh reinstall again.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Dear friend

I followed exactly your instructions. I found the hpqddsvc. The folder deleted. Ater that I looked for ather hp-something in the registry, nothing more. Reboot, install, but the installation stoped again with the same message (service:hpqddsvc). 

After that I tried again to find the hpqddsvc  in the registry with the previous method and the searching results were that it can not be found!!!!!!

However, the installation stops for that reason. Where does it hide now???

thank you again 

HP Recommended

Hi @iat1,

I am not sure what is causing this issue.

I have provided you with some steps for unlocking the Hidden Administrator Account and installing the printer on this account to see if that will help with this situation.

Note: Don't connect the USB cable in until prompted during the install.

• Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  • CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  • Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  • Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  • When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  • If your computer automatically logs into your account after the restart then go to your start menu and click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  • Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
  • Test the printer.
  • To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

If you are still having this issue, it may be the User Profile. Create a new User and try installing the printer on that Account.

• Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
  • Click Manage another account.
  • Click Create a new account.
  • Install the printer on that account.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

It works!!!

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know that did the trick, @iat1.

{Happy Dance 🙂 }

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.