Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Recommended

I am also having this issue with my 3015. I had it hooked up to my old XP desktop and working fine with the method listed, but since replacing it with a Windows 7 HP I get "Access is Denied" when trying to follow these same rules. This happens on both my W7 machine and my Vista machine. I have spent countless hours trying to figure out a remedy with no luck. Amazing how something so simple could be made so complex. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

Through MUCH trial and error I actually sorted this myself. On the machine that the printer is physically hooked up to, I added a printer. The same printer but through the explained method of adding a local port with the name \\computer\printer. Then doing the same thing on the remote pc's and voila it works

HP Recommended

rory2g wrote:

i recently got a IBM thinkpad with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

we have a HP Laserjet 3015 thats shared on windows xp profesional computer.  i am having trouble installing it on my comuter. if i connect the printer to my computer via USB, windows finds the drivers and it works.

The problem is when ever i try and insatll it over the network it does not work. i can search and find which computer it is attached to and see it in the shared printer list, but when i ever i try to connect to it says connecting>>searching windows update>>cant find drivers. it gives me the option of searching for the drivers to install. i have downloaded the drivers thats on the HP site but they dont help. when ever i select them in the manual it comes with an error saying driver not found then gives u the option of installing it your self. when u select the driver it says windows can not locate a suitable driver.

Bob_Headrick wrote:

Try the following:  On the Windows 7 computer go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a new port, Local port, Next, \\xpcomputername\lj3015 (where you put in the actual share name of the computer and printer), OK, Windows Update (and wait for the list to repopulate), HP Laserjet 3015 PCL5,  Next, Next.

YOU DA MAN, BOB!!!

Thank you. I had exactly the same issues. I searched the internet for solutions and came up with nothing until I found this thread. Now I can print from my new Windows 7 laptop to my LaserJet 3015 on an XP machine.

The only thing I can't seem to do for you is find the "Accept as Solution" button. Sorry. I was able to give you a "Kudos".

HP Recommended

surfshoptom wrote: [snip]

Bob_Headrick wrote:

Try the following:  On the Windows 7 computer go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a new port, Local port, Next, \\xpcomputername\lj3015 (where you put in the actual share name of the computer and printer), OK, Windows Update (and wait for the list to repopulate), HP Laserjet 3015 PCL5,  Next, Next.

YOU DA MAN, BOB!!!

Thank you. I had exactly the same issues. I searched the internet for solutions and came up with nothing until I found this thread. Now I can print from my new Windows 7 laptop to my LaserJet 3015 on an XP machine.

The only thing I can't seem to do for you is find the "Accept as Solution" button. Sorry. I was able to give you a "Kudos".

Thanks for the kind words and the Kudos.  Only the person who started the thread has the option for the "Accept as Solution" button.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

My husband cannot share the HP DP5460 installed on my Win 64 bit system from his Vista Home Premium 32 bit system.   The installation  process does not allow for a network  connection, but otherwise goes through all the steps; however, will not print a test page.

Has HP fixed this problem recently or Is there a similar solution for 32b Vista?

Sandra

HP Recommended

All I can say is Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Would have never gotten it without your help.  Even though I was somewhat skeptical when it downloaded a driver for a PCL 5 and I have a PCL 6, it worked.  Made my day.  Now I can use my new laptop to do everything.  Thanks again, Bob.

HP Recommended

The only problem with Bob's solution is that it's not a true network install but rather a "local" install.  Meaning, the network path that defines the printer isn't the network path that defines the same printer on other 32 bit computers.  I understand this is a non-business forum and therefore it will work for most users.  However, in my work environment, it's necessary for me to configure reports and the corresponding printers that will print the reports.  When I define those printers with my 64 bit PC and the installed "local" printer (using the same method that Bob prescribed) the rest of the network can't print those reports because even though all the PC's have the same printer installed, it's viewed differently on the network and the reports will fail on those PC's.  Conversely, if I configure the report on a 32-bit PC (typically while someone is at lunch), then all the other computers that have this printer networked properly can print the report but I'm not able to on my 64 bit PC now.  Bob's method  works but I bought a network printer so that I could network it.  This method has it's limitations...it's only a workaround, even for home PC's (IMHO)

HP Recommended

I just purchased a new computer with the installed windows 7 . I downloaded a driver for my HP laser jet 1300 printer. I can print with all of my other programs but cannot print any of my received e-mails.

HP Recommended

Here is how it works insatting a network printer on Win7 64bit:

1- Get the 64 bit driver from HP website.the extract it to a directory.

2- Go to your Win 7 64bit machine - add printer, network printer, go to "The printer is not listed" option.

3- Go to add a printer using a TCP/IP address, then next.

4- Change the device type to tcp/ip

5- Type the  port ip address (from properties on the current printer on network).Then next.

6- Agree to standard network card- next

7- Go to "have disk", and point to the *.inf file you extracted from your driver download

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.