Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I got this information for Windows 7 but, tried it with Winows 10 and the same fix works.

Intern
sk2play

Message 3 of 164(292,512 Views)
Re: Windows 7 x64 RC (Build 7100) and HP Laserjet 1012 Driver not working
I just installed Windows 7 (64bit) retail today on three on my home computers and was suprised my 1012 printer was not supported.  Windows 7 saw it as a unspecified device.  I was able to resolve this driver issue by having the printer attached to the USB Port, then manually pressing ADD PRINTER, choose DOT4 for the port.  For the driver, choose the built in Windows 7 HP Laserjet 3055 PCL5 driver and it will worked like a charm.  I also shared the printer on my home network and it worked with other Windows 7 computers not directly attached automatically.  This should work for the 1010, 1012 and 1015 as they are fundamentally the same printer, just a different year they were made.  The Printers section in the control panel eventually got rid of the Unspecified Device as it now see's it as a 3055 printer.  I could care less what Windows 7 calls the printer.  I just want it to print.  Tested Print Page and Word\Excel Documents with no problems.  Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Followed this text version in this message and it worked immediately.  I had tried a few other solutions that didn't work at all so this is definitely worth trying. 

Also, once I got it installed I tested Preferences in the driver screen, selected "Economode", and it worked fine.   This saves toner, and may reduce some of the work the laser is doing.  I think pages may print faster. 

Don't know if it made any difference, but before trying I went into "Control Panel", right clicked in the "Unidentified" Hp 1012, and selected "Remove". 

HP Recommended

can you tell me how to do this step by step      thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.