Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was adding to another post for a different printer but didn't want anyone with MY printer to MISS this problem.

***UPDATE*** (at least for my LaserJet Pro 200 M276nw)

I have found the root cause but will need further assistance from someone at HP to "solve" this one....

My new M276nw keeps throwing a 49 Service Error, chat support yielded alot of power off, power on, wait, try again blah blah blah, fuser problems blah blah. 10 minutes of forum searching put me onto possible wireless networking issues with other printers and SSID's. Anyway after returning one printer to Staples and having the problem come up again on a another brand new one....Tried Forum searching & Tada! at least I got to find a root cause.

I have a D-Link DIR-825 wireless router. It has dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).

Normally I have both enabled for the myriad of devices that people have these days in my home.

I updated the firmware to the latest update (20121026) then restarted.

Received the 49 Service Error shortly after restart.

Then I disabled both bands to test each wireless band independently.

The printer acted normally so I decided to enable each band seperately.

When I enable the 2.4 GHz band in the router, the printer immediately throws a 49 Service Error.

I tested this several times (5 to be exact) and each time during the router reboot the printer indicated the error.

So I left the 2.4 GHz band disabled and went on to the 5 GHz band.

I enabled the 5 GHz band 3 times and disabled it and found no effect on the printer (at least within a 5 minute window).

So now I'm left with only a single band wireless router or a printer that likes to restart itself every 20 minutes or so.

There is probably a setting (or 2) that can be tweaked in either the router or the printer that can prevent this (I hope).

I just need to find the right HP person............

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I should have updated this thread I'm sorry but I wound up updating the same issue on another M251nw printer thread since someone responded to that one. I should keep to only one thread - sorry but it sounds to me that I've just heard another one as well but for a m475dw as well. Maybe the same issue I don't know.

Anyway to update my m276nw situation: after experimenting for awhile trying to narrow it down I decided to eliminate possibilities by turning off my router as per another posters suggestion to remove the printer from the wireless environment and resetting the factory settings. So I turned OFF my 2.4 GHz band in my router (leaving 5 GHz active), reset the printer and it sat still (no reboot), it even went to sleep normally. I turned on the 2.4 band and the printer instantly threw the error repeated tries kept the same result no way to leave on the 2.4. So the next day I decided to check my router and found 2 year old firmware. It took multiple updates to get it current and on the last one I reset the printer to factory again and voila no errors yet. The printer has acted normally for a week, it sleeps normally and wakes. It's been shutdown (on purpose) a couple of times and everything seems normal.

I haven't enabled wireless yet since my house is wired and I really could do without the wireless capability but eventually I'll want to know.

My DLink DIR-825 router is still active with both bands but uses the latest firmware as does the brand new printer (the second one). Is that all it took?

Maybe.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

I really wish I could help but I am afraid this is a bit beyond my level of comprehension.  What I took from this was, you have to turn off the duel band feature to get the printer to work without that error message, correct?  The User Guide may help you but when I tried to read it my mind was blown away by just how many settings could be adjusted to fit your needs.  No need to do anything troulbeshooting-wise just yet.  All I need for you to do is look at page 137 on how to set sleep delay and auto power down functions and page 132 for link and duplex settings and let me know if you think it could be something to do with these.  

As far as a setting within the router, I do not know.  I did find another user guide with very technical information in it. The Software Technical Reference hinted to bi-directional printing which basically turns off or on the print spooler if the printer was so big it was using up network resources but I am not sure of that at all (see Page 59 for an example). Page 89 and on is a brief introduction to the embedded web server but really these are just definitions, nothing new to report there.

This website hints that it may be a firmware error. Lastly, the only other thing I can offer as you have probably seen it yourself is another HP forum thread regarding your exact error.  I know I won't be of much assistance but some hopefully is better than none. I'm just glad it works partially.  Let me know if I can answer any questions for you but this is just a step out of my league. Good luck!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

I should have updated this thread I'm sorry but I wound up updating the same issue on another M251nw printer thread since someone responded to that one. I should keep to only one thread - sorry but it sounds to me that I've just heard another one as well but for a m475dw as well. Maybe the same issue I don't know.

Anyway to update my m276nw situation: after experimenting for awhile trying to narrow it down I decided to eliminate possibilities by turning off my router as per another posters suggestion to remove the printer from the wireless environment and resetting the factory settings. So I turned OFF my 2.4 GHz band in my router (leaving 5 GHz active), reset the printer and it sat still (no reboot), it even went to sleep normally. I turned on the 2.4 band and the printer instantly threw the error repeated tries kept the same result no way to leave on the 2.4. So the next day I decided to check my router and found 2 year old firmware. It took multiple updates to get it current and on the last one I reset the printer to factory again and voila no errors yet. The printer has acted normally for a week, it sleeps normally and wakes. It's been shutdown (on purpose) a couple of times and everything seems normal.

I haven't enabled wireless yet since my house is wired and I really could do without the wireless capability but eventually I'll want to know.

My DLink DIR-825 router is still active with both bands but uses the latest firmware as does the brand new printer (the second one). Is that all it took?

Maybe.

HP Recommended

What a wonderful wealth of knowledge! Thank you for that.  I am so glad you came back and posted that for me because that means, so far, everything is working perfectly and that makes me very happy!  No where, on any of the information I found, was the router or its firmware ever mentioned.  I am glad I posted even though you didn't need any help. Thank you for your share and Happy Printing!!

HP Recommended

It should be mentioned that other Service Error 49 posts point a bit of a finger at the Boxee box multicast packets as a possible cause as well.

My Boxee is active in my network but I have not yet found a correlation to my previous printer issue since it works consistently now.

HP Recommended

I have been hearing more and more about multicast packets but Boxee...that is a first.  I have never heard of a Boxee.  Please tell me more if you do not mind.

HP Recommended

A Boxee Box is a way to access the internet from a television that is not a "smart tv". The "Boxee" is essentially an internet enabled media player that connects to your tv via HDMI etc. It has an operating system, a NIC, and a video card. See www.boxee.tv.

You've heard of Apple TV, this is the non-apple version so you won't have manufacturer specific cables to update all the time..... 🙂

HP Recommended

Oh thank you for explaining that one to me!  I am moving very soon and something like this will come in very handy.  Now that I know what that is, I will keep it in mind when troubleshooting networks, too.  Thank you for that and Happy Printing!

HP Recommended

This is not a solution (to firget about wirless and stick to wired LAN) We paid extra for wirless connection but its buggy. The problem is obviosly from the Wi-Fi, Whay dosen't HP solve it

HP Recommended

how is this Solved? 

not using wifi is not a solition.  I'm going to dump this printer today if there are no solutions and perhaps grab a Dell or something.

I can't beleive HP hasn't released a fix, or firmware update to resovle this by now....

I'm staying away from HP and advising my customers to do the same.

peace..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.