Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I echo all of Seanworley72 and slipp1229 comments with the exception of expletives.

I might add what is also deceiving about this printer is that they did spend the time to develop a black only mode. Yes it is there.

The "gotha" is that the black only mode only works  when the colors are getting low not when they get depleted which happens without even using the colors.

So they could have claimed to have it but not really have it.  Same amount of effort that went into this deception could have made it right.

One good thing about this printer is the scan feature seems to work well and I am making extensive use of it.

HP Recommended

So is HP going to resolve this problem or do I have to purchase a new printer also?

HP Recommended

Probably not!

several solutions are possible:

refill cartridges yourself.

fill all cartridges with black ink.

fit a feeder tube so ink is obtained from an external container thus minimising cost and maximising ease of replenishment.

HP Recommended
Thanks... Last HP product for me.
HP Recommended

So I just ran into this issue tonight trying to print ONLY BLACK for a grocery list. Not only that, but i have to print off 40 pages of a new employment package from a company I just got hired from and turn it in signed next week.

Definitely will NOT be falling pray to this SCAM. There's no other way to say this.

If you're only printing in black there is absolutely ZERO REASON for the printer to constantly use up ink for "maintenance purposes" via cleaning etc. 

The product should only track which color is being used, which ones are not being used, and maintain the ones being used the most. When a color that has not been used for quite some time is about to be used it can read it from the incoming print request and do a quick cleaning & re-alignment.

Or

When switching from "Only Black" -> "Allow Color Printing" the printer will do a cleaning & realignment in preperation for color printing again.

To be clear: This printer will use up COLOR inks when set to "Only Use Black". Since this was not noted anywhere on the box before purchase this is pretty much stealing. I'd contact a lawyer about this if it was that big of a deal.

Simple and short, everyone who has public access to your forums will read about how bad HP printers are and avoid them.

I am doing more research this weekend on a new printer to buy next week, and I'm trashing this one even thougn it is only 3 months old. Yaaay, $200 down the drain!

I see why HP is tanking in stock over the past year now. I hope those of you working in Customer Service find new jobs pretty quick. I couldn't stomach defending such a hogwash company like this.

-Cheers

HP Recommended

I CANNOT believe they do not let you print with just black cartidge!!! A HUGE disappointment. I think HP just lost a loyal customer with this extremely retarded marketing strategy to sell ink cartidges. I have never written a review until now ever. I cannot, however, just sit back and let other people get ripped off. DO NOT BUY THIS PRINTER.

HP Recommended

You are not giving us a solution. You are giving reasons only. We are looking for a solution other than trashing an expensive (for us) piece of euipment. It seems you could come up with a way to substitute black ink cartridges for the colored ones. I guess it won't matter if we try to refill the colored cartridges with black ink because if it damages the printer it won't matter seeing as how most are planning to throw them out anyway. I understand it is not your place to offer replacements but I think HP should recall this line and come up with a FREE correcction. You can pass this on to your superiors. I cannot afford a printer that keeps draining the yellow color cartridge.

HP Recommended

HP and other printer manufacturers have different printer technologies for different needs.  

• Some have printheads built into the ink cartridges.  These printers can typically print with one or more of the colors completely empty, or even with color or black (but not both) cartridges removed. The Deskjet 6980 series is an example.  

• Other printers have separate ink supplies and replaceable printheads.  An example would be the Officejet 6500 printers.  The printhead in these printers can be replaced if they are damaged by running the printhead with colors out.  Some of these printers will allow printing with a color out, other will not.  If the printer is run without ink in one or more colors the printer may be damaged, but the user may be able to recover without having to send the printer for service.

• Other printers have permanent printheads.  To run these without some ink in all the colors would risk causing damage to the printhead due to clogs, air ingested in the printheadvor burned out printhead firing resistors. The Photosmart 5510 series is an example of this type of printer. For printers with fixed printheads this could require service to get the printer to print properly again when the ink is finally replaced.  

The document here discusses how ink is used.  You will find the discussion above applies to printers from HP as well as from other manufacturers.  Printers with separate ink supplies and printheads can be damaged if allowed to run dry.   This may not be what you want to hear, but it is the case and has nothing to do with marketing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

everyone should line up at the stores and return the printer, swamp them good, one deed deserves another

HP Recommended

then you should be ashamed and be held accountable as well

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.