Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So I'm still stuck....  I have my HP722c connected to an XP Pro box and itworks perfectly over there, has for years.

Just built a new Win7 Ult 64 box, and the mobo has no parallel ports, so I'm trying to get it to print across the network.  But I've copied the 3 files into the ..../3 folder but still get nothing.  I know part of the instructions say to install the printer first.  Well, THAT's what fails - I select the network printer (it sees it on the XP box) but it won't install it - says it can't find the drivers.  BUT it will install the 722c on LPT1 (even tho there is NO LPT1 port!).

So how do I get the printer installed (locally i guess?) then reroute it across the LAN to the XP box where it's actually plugged in, and get it to print?

Thanks!

EricB

HP Recommended

suthunr wrote:

So I'm still stuck....  I have my HP722c connected to an XP Pro box and itworks perfectly over there, has for years.

Just built a new Win7 Ult 64 box, and the mobo has no parallel ports, so I'm trying to get it to print across the network.  But I've copied the 3 files into the ..../3 folder but still get nothing.  I know part of the instructions say to install the printer first.  Well, THAT's what fails - I select the network printer (it sees it on the XP box) but it won't install it - says it can't find the drivers.  BUT it will install the 722c on LPT1 (even tho there is NO LPT1 port!).

So how do I get the printer installed (locally i guess?) then reroute it across the LAN to the XP box where it's actually plugged in, and get it to print?

Thanks!

EricB

Install the printer as if it were connected to LPT1:, then  go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Deskjet 722, Printer Settings, Ports, Add Port, Local Port, \\XPname\Printershare name (with the proper XP computer and printer share names), Next.   Do not print the test page.  Before printing to the shared printer from the Win 7 machine apply the patch.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

WOO-HOO!!!

Thanks for the concise directions! Worked perfectly first time!  I had actually tried defining the port that way but was using the IP address and wouldn'y work for some reason.  Using the NAME worked like a charm.

Now I wonder if the same trick will work with my Epson 1280.... over to their support forums....

Thanks,

EricB

HP Recommended
That worked and so does the printer. Thank you soooooooo much. Gary
HP Recommended

Hello!

My Windows Vista 64-bit system will not let me copy & replace OR manually delete the old HPDVB720.DLL file with the new one. When copying and replacing, will give me an unspecified error (0x80004005), and when trying to manually delete the file to replace it, it says I "you do not have permission to perform this action". I do not know how to replace it via DOS prompts (don't know proper commands). Trying to make my HP 722C work with Vist 64-bit. I appreciate your kind attention and any help you can give. Thanks all!

HP Recommended

Hello again,

DUMB ME!!! I deleted the printer again, and THEN it finally let me modify (copy and replace) the driver file. Thanks again for the wonderful information in this post! My printer finally works again!

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob, the patch certainly helped.  But now I only get partial pages.  Even on a test page, I only get the first inch or two, then the printer stops and does not eject the paper.  I have tried it with applications with the same result.  I have a Windows 7 64-bit laptop connected to a HP 722C via a USB to parallel cable.  The cable and printer work fine from my XP laptop.  I have tried deleting the printer, rebooting the PC with the cable both connected and not, power cycling the printer, but the same results.  The 3 files are still in the proper folder and have not been overwritten by all this.  Any other suggestions?  

HP Recommended

I have a Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium desktop with a working HP Deskjet 820Cse printer, and a Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium laptop.  Both computers are in the same Homegroup and share files okay.  When I try to print to the desktop printer from the laptop, the laptop shows the file being spooled to the desktop, but nothing prints on the desktop.

On the desktop, I tried Start/Devices and Printers/Right click on the desktop printer icon/Printer properties/Sharing tab/Additional Drivers.../Checked Processor x64 box/OK on the desktop and it asks to Install print drivers (x64 processor) which I don't have.

When i check the desktop C:/Windows/spool/drivers/x64 the folder is empty.  I created a x64/3 folder and put the 3 DJ_Patch files in it, but that didn't work since I believe a x64 driver is needed first.  I tried putting the 3 files into the w32x86/3 folder, but that didn't work.  I believe the Patch presented would work, if I could get the Additional Drivers to work on the desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

LittleCaesar wrote:

I have a Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium desktop with a working HP Deskjet 820Cse printer, and a Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium laptop.  Both computers are in the same Homegroup and share files okay.  When I try to print to the desktop printer from the laptop, the laptop shows the file being spooled to the desktop, but nothing prints on the desktop.

On the desktop, I tried Start/Devices and Printers/Right click on the desktop printer icon/Printer properties/Sharing tab/Additional Drivers.../Checked Processor x64 box/OK on the desktop and it asks to Install print drivers (x64 processor) which I don't have.

When i check the desktop C:/Windows/spool/drivers/x64 the folder is empty.  I created a x64/3 folder and put the 3 DJ_Patch files in it, but that didn't work since I believe a x64 driver is needed first.  I tried putting the 3 files into the w32x86/3 folder, but that didn't work.  I believe the Patch presented would work, if I could get the Additional Drivers to work on the desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK, a few issues here.  First, you must install the driver on the laptop before you can apply the patch.  Do the following:  on the laptop go to the DEvices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local printer, Create a port, Local Port, \\desktopsharename\printersharename (put in the proper share names), Next, Windows Update, select the Deskjet 820C, Next (do not print a test page).  Next apply the patch, it goes in %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3.   %windir% is typically C:\windows but may be elsewhere.  In your path you were missing the \system32\ part.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob-

IT WORKED!!!  Thanks a bunch.  I didn't even think of installing the driver on the 64-bit.  All the time I thought it was a problem on the 32-bit where the printer is installed.  Many kudos to you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.