Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Many thanks..... rtfm..... sigh.... sorry.
HP Recommended

when will hp create a patch for windows 8?

Still looking for the patch for my adapter that works with hp 720 series printer and windows 8. thx

HP Recommended

@anetb wrote:

when will hp create a patch for windows 8?

Still looking for the patch for my adapter that works with hp 720 series printer and windows 8. thx

Please be patient.  As I mentioned to you yesterday and the day before there is currently no workaround for Windows 8 x64.  Windows 8 x86 will work.

I do not work for or speak for HP and have no visibility into any plans for a patch from them.  The printer is well more than a dozen years old and has long been past its support life at this point.  HP did not provide a patch for the issue in Vista and Windows 7, that was done by third party effort.

If a patch is developed it will be announced in this thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have a dj722c printer connect to xp box via parallel cable. I was able to print from a remote xp box going thru wired router. Now I'm trying to connect a w7 box wirelessly.  Under the network, it finds it. When I try to add it to my w7 system it wants an (*.inf) file. Do I need to purchase the cable mentioned for it to work.  I don't plan to have the printer next to my w7 box. In what dir is the system looking into for driver. I get an error about not finding the driver on the network then it wants the (inf) file.

HP Recommended

@XXXMUSICMAN wrote:

I have a dj722c printer connect to xp box via parallel cable. I was able to print from a remote xp box going thru wired router. Now I'm trying to connect a w7 box wirelessly.  Under the network, it finds it. When I try to add it to my w7 system it wants an (*.inf) file. Do I need to purchase the cable mentioned for it to work.  I don't plan to have the printer next to my w7 box. In what dir is the system looking into for driver. I get an error about not finding the driver on the network then it wants the (inf) file.

You do not need to use a special cable or connect the printer to your Windows 7 machine.  Do the following:  on the WIndows 7 machine go to Start,  Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the XP computer and printer), OK, then click on Windows Update and then select HP for the manufacturer and HP Deskjet 720c for the printer, Next.

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7?  If you have the 64 bit version you will need to apply the patch at the top of this thread before printing from the Windows 7 machine.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Thank You. That did the trick.
HP Recommended

Worked a treat after a restart. Saved me buying a USB to // adapater lead for £16 too!

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Thanks to Bob for the patch.  Parallel to USB adapter cord worked on Vista Home.  When I went to W7 64 bit, I bought a StarTech PC12S1P pci card.  Had to use the hpvdb720.dll patch to get HP712C printer to print.  My only problem left is that I cannot get printhead alignment to work.  Message says Windows Explorer stopped working.  Then Windows Explorer starts up, but will still not align. 

I am running Dell  Inspiron 530, Windows 7, 64 bit, with HP 712C printer.

Your are my kind of guy.  I don't like the throw-away mentality.

HP Recommended

Bob,

THANK YOU !!!!   The patch worked perfectly.  Not sure how I ended up on the HP forum since I started at Microsoft.  I had been working on this for a week without success.  As I think I said in my first post neither Dell, Sunix, Microsoft, or HP phone support had a solution.

Now I am going to push it a little.   During my attempts to fix my problem I ended up with a Microsoft RawPort listed as an Unspecified device  under the Devices and Printer window.  Do you have a fix for this too?  Or should I just leave well enough alone?   (My last printer problem 🙂

THANK YOU AGAIN

David

HP Recommended

@daVIDeo1968 wrote:

Bob,

THANK YOU !!!!   The patch worked perfectly.  Not sure how I ended up on the HP forum since I started at Microsoft.  I had been working on this for a week without success.  As I think I said in my first post neither Dell, Sunix, Microsoft, or HP phone support had a solution. 

Now I am going to push it a little.   During my attempts to fix my problem I ended up with a Microsoft RawPort listed as an Unspecified device  under the Devices and Printer window.  Do you have a fix for this too?  Or should I just leave well enough alone?   (My last printer problem 🙂

THANK YOU AGAIN

David

I am glad it resolved your issue.  The Microsoft forum is not actually connected to the HP Consumer Forum except through occasional links posted by users for specific issues (like this one).

I do not have an answer for your unspecified device question and your posts in the Microsoft forum are not visible here.  You might go back there and post in a new thread.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.