Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I try to add the printer using "add printer" I select the 720c driver and I get this message " Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be complete. (0xe0000100)" Also every time I try to add the printer I have to use windows update to download a list of rivers because the 720c is not listed. For some reason they are nort being stored on my computer and  I have to download them every time to choose 720c driver. I believe the above code is a windows incompatible error.

HP Recommended

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Everything worked as you said. I assume that the right port choice was LPT1. After the driver installation, the printer now shows up in the printer list. I then replaced the HPVDB720.dll file in the windows/system32/spool/drivers/x64/3 folder with the hpvdb720.dll from the patch download. I am using a converter cable from the printer parallel cable to a USB port on the HPE310t computer. The converter cable is a Manhattan brand labeled "Compatible with Windows 7". The printer still will not print. The message in the document list is "Error-printing"

Any clues?

Thanks again

Jim B

HP Recommended

@jbertke wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Everything worked as you said. I assume that the right port choice was LPT1. After the driver installation, the printer now shows up in the printer list. I then replaced the HPVDB720.dll file in the windows/system32/spool/drivers/x64/3 folder with the hpvdb720.dll from the patch download. I am using a converter cable from the printer parallel cable to a USB port on the HPE310t computer. The converter cable is a Manhattan brand labeled "Compatible with Windows 7". The printer still will not print. The message in the document list is "Error-printing"

Any clues?

Thanks again

Jim B

Does the print job remain in the queue?  If so the most likely case would be an incorrect port.  I would suggest going to the Device Manager and see if the LPT1: port shows up.  It may be that the parallel conveter presents a different port for the printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob,

Thanks again for your reply. Yes the document remains in the print queue. And, no, there are no ports showing in the Device Manager. What next?

Thanks,

Jim B

HP Recommended

@jbertke wrote:

Yes the document remains in the print queue. And, no, there are no ports showing in the Device Manager. What next?

The USB-parallel converter is not supplying a virtual LPT: port so you will need to find the proper port.  There may be some documentation with the converter that would help.  Alternatively go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Deskjet 720 series, Printer Properties, Ports and look for a port such as USBnnn.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob,

Found USB001 in printer properties. Changed port from LPT1 to this port. Printer now works fine. Can't thank you enough. You've saved me from significant expense in time & $.

Thanks again,

Jim B

HP Recommended

@jokomoko wrote:

When I try to add the printer using "add printer" I select the 720c driver and I get this message " Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be complete. (0xe0000100)" Also every time I try to add the printer I have to use windows update to download a list of rivers because the 720c is not listed. For some reason they are nort being stored on my computer and  I have to download them every time to choose 720c driver. I believe the above code is a windows incompatible error.

A few things come to mind:  first make sure you have adequate disk space on your C: drive.  Next I would suggest logging in with an account with administrator privilege.  If this does not help then open an administrative command prompt. (Click the Start Orb, type cmd.exe in the start search box.  When cmd.exe is shown right click on it and select "Run as administrator".)   Now click in the administrative command prompt and type sfc /scannow then press enter.  It will take several minutes to complete the scan.  If there were any errors that were corrected then try again to install the print driver.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Bob:

You seem a wizard with these printers.  Is there a patch for the 1120c?  I have installed it through a USB to parallel converter.  Windows says the USB device installed correctly, but still no joy.  Can you help me please

Clive

HP Recommended

@clive-ernest wrote:

Is there a patch for the 1120c?  I have installed it through a USB to parallel converter.  Windows says the USB device installed correctly, but still no joy.  Can you help me please.

This patch only works for the printers listed (except the Deskjet 100 should be 1000...).  The Deskjet 1120 is off topic in this thread, lets continue the discussion in the thread here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Ok, shall do

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.