Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I applied the patch and printed at a clients home.  Next day she called - and it was no longer working.

Uninstalled and reinstalled, applied the patch...

Still not working.  Test print would appear in que then disappear and not a whisper from the printer.

In an act of deperation - I enabled printer pooling and selected LPT1 and USB001 and USB002

The instant I clicked apply - a test print shot out of the printer.

Don't get it, but I got it!

HP Recommended

I have been flagging posts with USB-parallel cables that are reported to work in Windows 7 here.  Hopefully others will add the the list.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot ! It worked.

HP710C

With print server HP Jet Direct

I downloaded the patch and extracted the 3 files.

I only copied the file hpvdb720.dll to the requested directory - with overwriting the same file with older timestamp-

Furthermore I could use the old port settings for the print server.. as we still use with XP.

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

This is probably buried somewhere in the couple hundred responses, but here goes: on the Windows 7 machine go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, then click on Windows Update and then select HP Deskjet 720c.

You will need to apply the patch after installing the driver as described above.

Okay, I've tried this about a hundred times.  If I'm understanding you right, my computername is OBERON and my printername is HPDeskJe. 

screenshot.jpg

I installed the printer as if on LPT1, I go to printer properties, Ports, Click on 'Add Port', select 'Local Port', click on 'New Port'.  I get a dialog that says 'Enter a port name.'  I enter '//OBERON/HPDeskJe' and click 'OK', then I get an error box that says 'The System cannot find the file specified'.

What am I doing wrong?

HP Recommended

Never mind, I figured it out.  It's been a long while since I've worked with this stuff, and I forgot you need to use backslashes, not forward slashes in DOS/Windows.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Okay, I've read this entire thread but it's not working. I have a 722C as a shared printer on a XP system. TO get it working, I attached to the teh Windows 7 USB port. I went through the steps to create a new local port. The driver is installed and I can see the new port. I go into printers and can see the 722C setup as the default local printer.

The problem. When I print, nothign comes out. I can put teh printer in teh XP USB port as a local printer and it prints fine. Move it to the Windows 7 system and it doens't print. I can pause printing an see the Windows 7 print jobs accumulate but when released, they don't print. Suggestion

In trying to setup as a shared printer on teh XP system, I started by creating a new local port and then tried using \\Computername\Printername as suggested to set it up. I got and error that read there isn't enough server storage? Net it wouldn't take it.

HP Recommended

@510man wrote:

Okay, I've read this entire thread but it's not working. I have a 722C as a shared printer on a XP system. TO get it working, I attached to the teh Windows 7 USB port. I went through the steps to create a new local port. The driver is installed and I can see the new port. I go into printers and can see the 722C setup as the default local printer.

The problem. When I print, nothign comes out. I can put teh printer in teh XP USB port as a local printer and it prints fine. Move it to the Windows 7 system and it doens't print. I can pause printing an see the Windows 7 print jobs accumulate but when released, they don't print. Suggestion

In trying to setup as a shared printer on teh XP system, I started by creating a new local port and then tried using \\Computername\Printername as suggested to set it up. I got and error that read there isn't enough server storage? Net it wouldn't take it.

The likely issue with connecting the printer to your Windows 7 machine directly is the USB-parallel  cable.  The cable requires a proper driver for Windows 7 and many models do not work.  The link here has posts from users where they reported particular models working.

A better solution if you would like to use the printer with both your XP machine and Windows 7 machine would be to set the printer up on the XP machine and then enable printer sharing and use it on the WIndows 7 machine through the network.  You will still need to have the patch applied on the Windows 7 machine if your are using a 64 bit version of Windows 7.  See here for information on setting up the printer sharing.  When you then set up the printer on Windows 7 you will need to supply the proper names for your shared computer and shared printer, they will probably be something different than \\Computername\Printername.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I COPIED THE FILES TO WINDOWS SPOOL FILE AND MY PRINTER STILL DOES NOT RECEIVE ANY INFO WHEN I ASK IT TO PRINT.  The computer says the page is sent to the printer but there is no document in the que.  Any other ideas.

HP Recommended

@DNYLBOB1 wrote:

I COPIED THE FILES TO WINDOWS SPOOL FILE AND MY PRINTER STILL DOES NOT RECEIVE ANY INFO WHEN I ASK IT TO PRINT.  The computer says the page is sent to the printer but there is no document in the que.  Any other ideas.

I assume you copied the files into the %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 directory.  The most likely issue is use of a USB-Parallel converter cable.  First, make sure the cable you have is supported in your operating system.  The posts here have models folks have reported working in Windows 7 x64.  The next thing to check would be the port assignment.  Most USB-Parallel cables have a virtual printer port such as USB001: or USB002:.  If you have LPT1: selected try changing the port to the highest listed USBnnn: port.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

ohh ty 🙂 

now we have a printer again. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.